St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Metallica: St. Anger

Now one thing I have to say to begin, I'm not really sure weather I like this album or not. If it were some other band's album otherwise than Metallica's I'd think it kicks ass. So I'll just try to ignore that. Music on this album is angry, but not as mean as on other metallica albums. I think that Metallica has tried not to make a Mainstream album with 3,5 minutes hit singles, since the tracks on the album are often like 6-8 minutes long. The music style has made a total flip. St. Anger is pure trash metal. The thing is that I think the tracks are a bit boring without Kirk's solos.

The lyrics have also changed on this record, propably because the boys have matured up a bit? Hetfield's singing goes on suprisingly well with the new style too. That's all I have to say about lyrics.

Now to the real judging. I think it can't be compared to other Metallica albums. I Don't even think it's pure Metallica, more like plain Metallica. There are, however a few kickass songs here, "Frantic", "Sweet Amber" and "Some Kind Of Monster" are those songs. I Don't think that St. Anger is a song to mention, Since it Would be a pearl, but it's a way too long, and "Some Kind Of Monster" has the same problem. I love the hard n' heavy guitarriffs on the album, like the opening riff in "Frantic", but then again I hate the too long and boring songs, and the fact of no guitar solos, which makes the song even more boring. The bonus DVD wasn't anything special either. Ifthe album got lost I'd buy a new one, because then I would'nt have all the Metallica albums anymore! The greatest broblem on the record is, that it has nothing terribly wrong with it, but definantly nothing to remember! It's too long and too boring. I just hope that if there will be another metallica album someday, that it will be true Metallica instead of just Metallica.