St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 3.3 Poor
Metallica: St. Anger

What happened? That's all I can ask, now, I've been a fan of Metallica, even through Reload, yes, I liked most of Reload and everything before it. but sweet mother of christ. How can you give this coaster anything above a 2? I don't care about the production values, if Master Of Puppets sounded like this, it would still be one if the best metal albums of all time. The songs lack good riffs, good lyrics, and any solos whatsoever. Even Reload had some awesome riffs on it. The only thing that had a chance at being good were the drums, but that was ruined by Lars' horrible snare. Other than, they were the most intense drums since Dyers Eve.

Lame. That's all I can say I actually liked shoot me again (despite its severely noticeable Korn rip-off riff.) I liked the melody, and it's sort of eerieness, then all of the sudden, "shoot me again I aint dead yet" I almost fell on the floor laughing when I heard that. How is that to be taken seriously? Listen to the way he says it? Is James John Wayne now? "All within my hands, crush it, suffocate" well, that speaks for it self.

The riffs were way too repetative, Metallica was known for having so many riffs in each song, but no, now they just change the drum beat over a half assed riff, which is a cool affect, but not 2398236 times. And it would be way cooler, if the riffs were good, the only riff worth a damn is in Sweet Amber, which admittedly is a kick ass riff. However, that one riff doesn't redeem Metallica from this half assed album, no quarter eigth assed album. Is there a reason for Kirk to even be there? Other then to flaunt his crappy vocals I mean. Now I understand, after 20 years of alcohol abuse and writing terribly awesome music, its hard to still put out, but they did it on purpose. This is the "real Metallica" well apparently they needed Korn, Linkin Park and Staind to get popular first to make sure it was ok to do it. Didn't they say the same thing the last time they changed there style? I don't mind a little variety in style, as long as they can do it, and not sound like crap. Obviously, that didnt work this time. This is not an album you need to think about, nor give a few listens to let it settle. It's not complex, it's crap. Thank the Lord they only play like 3 songs off this cd live, or I wouldn't be going to see them in november. So I guess I'll just listen to the other releases, and not this crap. Metallica is going in the studio in january, hopefully to not sound like a barrel of wet ducks and a pepsi can.