St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 3.3 Poor
Metallica: St. Anger

This ain't Metallica, folks! If Metallica were really behind the album, it might actually ring with some of their creativity and I don't know might possibly not sound like every post-grunge, wanna-be American metal act I've ever heard. In short, american metal today is like american beer - cheap, watered-down and basically worthless. Wasting tape on this travesty is like turning perfectly good water into Budweiser. Pointless. Kind of like life to all the suicidal emo/goth suburbanites to whom this is supposed to appeal.

So you're Sober and apparently broke (otherwise, why try so desperately to write meaningless lyrics to fill an album and make a buck?) Go cry in your AA meeting and shut up.

I must confess I did not buy this. Nor did I go and see them live during their recent tour. What's the point? If I wanted to drink $7 beer in a sauna while listening to bad wanna-be Korn, I'd put Staind on Headphones, buy some Chimay and go to the day spa. At least I might get drunk. I gave the album a listen, and had initially planned on downloading the MP3's in lieu of purchase (just because Lars is a whining, rich spank, and though I have purchased everything else in my collection, I wanted to download this turd for free.) Once I heard it, I realized it is not worth a download, either. It's certainly not worth buying. Conclusion: Metallica's downfall began with the death of Cliff Burton in 1986. The following album, ...And Justice For All, was a bit of a sonic disappointment given a total lack of Jason Newsted's bass. After probably about 500,000 listens, I still swear he wasn't even present during the sessions. The rest of the band had a good effort, though, Justice was a brutal masterpiece despite the lack of a bass player. Black album was the death rattle. Overall, that was also a great record, and one I still enjoy quite a bit. Unfortunately it was produced by Bob Rock, and his pathetic, ultimately ruining influence can already be detected. Thankfully Hetfield was still drinking pretty heavily, which apparently is a good thing. Load and ReLoad were crap. Not completely, mind you. There were a few great tunes, such as Mama Said and The House That Jack Built, but these islands of listenability float in a sea of excrement. What were they thinking?! Lars was apparently trying to be another member of Oasis, or possibly he thought he might finally get some airplay in gay bars. Wrong. It's garbage. 5 or 6 or 7 or seemed like 10 years passed with nothing but a repackaging of their old (good) material from the 80's in the form of a bloated symphony live album - yet another slap in the face to older fans - and Garage, Inc., which is about as entertaining as watching Arafat get a full body massage. By the time St. Anger came out, I had given up on Metallica to such an extent that this release may as well have been Britney Spears covering Kenny G on smack. Somehow it managed to wind up weasling it ways into my ear canal. Very, very sad.