St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Metallica: St. Anger

ok first off this album is about as gritty as Metallica have been in years, the point behind this album as the band have stated is a return to the old energy and as a result it is kind of conveyed through the raw sound to this album. If you were lucky enough to get your hands on the digi pack edition with the dvd and have seen Some Kind Of Monster then youll understand that this album was not about production values but more about getting the aggression the band felt from the pretty much unused presidio sessions and Hetfields rehab. The one problem I do have is the constant tinny drum noise. Think turning off the bass and top and just leaving the middle eq and thats what the drums sound like, also the backing vocals since the loss of newstead have went downhill. Not Classic Tallica but not to shabby to be honest.

Considering the fact that its was not just Hetfield but Hammet, Ulrich and Bob Rock the contributed with the lyric writing process, a process that hetfield kept very private for almost 20 years I would say that the lyrics are pretty good. Again not clasic Tallica but check out unnamed feeling if you aint already.

This is not calssic Metallica as I've said, but its a new direction for the band. However to trully get this album you really have to see the documentary (Some Kind Of Monster) and I would advise reading so what to get an insight into where a lot of the anger comes from. On the whole a good album not great and not shit like most people have said it is but theyre really just pissed off theres no solos on it.