St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Metallica: St. Anger

Overall, the sound choice was a good one. In this album, they modernized their ideas, tuning down to a drop c in almost every one of their songs. they made the music sound more like some crappy, heavy/death metal band, but they added the usual Metallica things to it, making it sound better than a crappy heavy metal band. I still prefer the older stuff than this album though.

The lyrics were much more pessimistic in this album than in any other album I have heard. being a metallica junkie, I think it was harder for me than most people to adjust to the style of the lyrics. I'm not saying that the other albums werent about the same things as this one was, but this album just seemed to intensify their thoughts even more. In my opinion, Kirk has really improved his singing skills from his first albums, making this one vocally better. I was expecting more of an old fashioned metallica wording in this album, but it wasn't that way.

I absolutely love almost every Metallica album, except for this one. I wish that metallica would go back to their older style of music, such as thier Black Album and Load/Reload. I think that since Jason left Metallica and Robert took over, this has caused their style to become less original. There isn't nearly as many guitar solos in this newer album, which is what I always looked forward to in thier older albums. This disappointed me.