St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Metallica: St. Anger

This album cops a lot of s--t from people but really it isn't so bad. It's quite different from their other songs, it has a faster, more intense sort of sound. The guitar was ok, there was a few decent riffs in there, and the bass wasn't too bad. But I didn't like the drums, they just sounded like s--t I reckon. Pity there was no solos. I have seen a few of these songs performed live by Metallica and they sounded like s--t. About the same quality as my mate's band who jam in a shed every week.

Lyrics weren't that good, a lot of the shit didn't make sense to me but sound ok when your not paying attention to them. I found that James was dribbling some quality shit in this album. My thought is that they have been creating awesome music for 20 years or something and they have passed their peak and are running out of material. James' voice also wasn't up to scratch.

Although this album doesn't come close to some of their previous ones, judging it on its own value its pretty decent (nothing spectacular but I still pop it in my cd player every now and then). Before I heard this album I didn't really listen to Metallica but it still managed to get me into the band. Best songs I thought were Some Kind Of Monster, Unnamed Feeling, Invisible Kid and My World. If it was lost or stolen I wouldn't pay for it again but I would probably burn it off someone.