St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Metallica: St. Anger

It's different, and hard to identify with past Metallica albums. I wasn't quite expecting this level of 'unoriginality' from them. I almost think I'm listening to some other band when I'm playing St. Anger in my car. I don't know why they didn't clean up the studio production for each cut, but it almost sounds like they 'glossed' over the tracks with minimal attention to detail. All in all, I was was expecting music from the older days.

I think the lyrics were OK on some songs, but, I can't for the life of me understand what the hell James is doing in St. Anger, when he says 'You flush it out, you flush it out.' Did Fred Durst write this part of the song? Shoot Me Again is not that original, and who the hell is the 'Invisible Kid,' which also has a horrible middle part where James is saying 'What a good boy he was.' Wtf is that? But, Frantic's lyrics I can identify with (an endless stream of fear that I've made). I guess this is James thinking about his days in Rehab. Some Kind Of Monster is the best written song on this album. I guess thats why they named the movie after this song.

Overall, I still play this album with my other Metallica and metal albums, because I can't stand listening to radio. St. Anger has kinda grown on me. When I'm feeling in a road-rage mood, I crank up Frantic and tell everyone to 'get the f--k off the road!' Usually, though, if I have it playing in the CD when someone else is riding with me, they can't stand even a minute of it, so I kill'em with some other metal s--t. All in all, I expect Metallica to be coming out with another studio album with-in their 'standard' 7 year envelope. Average at best.