St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
Metallica: St. Anger

In my opinion, this CD is the sole reason wich makes Metallica different (and possibly better) then most bands out there. Metallica are a band that are not afraid of trying new things, examples are writing ballads, making music videos, and changing music style. Now I stand by my opinion, but I must admit that the production could have been alot better. I dont think I need to point out the flaws but again this is what makes them a great band. The new sound is also a sign that Metallica might be moving back to thier roots of speed and thrash metal. And also Rob didn't contribute to the album but I feel that he will be the right guy for the future of Metallica.

In this segment of Metallica history, the members went through personal stuff wich reflects alot on the lyrics. St. Anger is about releaseing anger in a positive way, much like James went through in rehab. In "Shoot Me Again" the song is about what Lars went through with the whole Napster mess. "Invisable Kid" is (I think) about how Kirk felt neglected or how he couldn, t do anything to help the others. "All Within My Hands" deals with the departue of former bassist Janson Newsted and how James felt his relationship was with him. James's voice has changed alot in this album. He did a good job because the musical skill goes good with the song but still not the James I am proud of.

This is the begging of an exciting new chapter in Metallica's history. To compare it with previous albums is really wrong because this album is mearly a stepping-stone for wich Metallica will unleash on the world. The songs that reached out to me most were "Sweet Amber" and "Frantic" becuase of teh message that I perseeve them to be. I love the fact that Metallica is not afraid of doing things not familliar to the people and simply just for still being a band! If it was stolen I would buy it again because I am a huge Metallica fan and will follow them if they turn into a techno band (on second-hand maybe not).