St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
Metallica: St. Anger

This is difficult because I've seen reviews of this being either the best since "Master Of Puppets" or the worse than "Load." It is most certainly different, more focused on the riffs (which by the way are superb for the most part) and there are no guitar solos which can be irritating when hardcore fans will expect at any moment for Kirk to break out into some shredding genius.

The lyrics are either genius (The Unamed Feeling, Some Kind Of Monster) or stupidly reptitive (Dirty Window, Frantic, title track) But the overall picture is good. Kirk doing backing lyrics does not work at all.

01. Frantic - a Song that I fail to connect with in any way shape or form, good riffs redeme it but only just. 02. St. Anger - slightly repetitive lyrics but a song which sees a return to form of sorts with a pounding chorus and superb intro riff. 03. Some Kind Of Monster - they made a movie out of it. It is however my joint favourite on the album with great lyrics such as "These are the eyes that can't see me these are the hands that drop your trust" one of the epics. 04. Dirty Window - terrible, how can Metallica produce "Some Kind Of Monster" in one seesion then this peice of emo crap in the next one. 05. Invisable Kid - one of the albums epics at 8 and a half minutes but also one of the best. Superb lyrics 06. My World - the best opening line in any Metallica Song ever "The Motherf--kers got in my head." But the rest of the song is slightly dry (based on the opening line on its own). 07. Shoot Me Again - this is the sort of song that would make people like Metallica based on just this album. Classy. 08. Sweet Amber - slighty dry until you reach the pre-chorus when you appreciate the song properly. 09. the Unnamed Feeling - my other joint favourite with a return of higher notes and the sort of chorus metallica fans come to expect. 10. Purify - like Dirty Window, Bob Rock wrote this piece of disrespect and sounds like it was forced on the album. The lowest and dullest part of this rollercoaster ride of an album. 11. All Within My Hands - terribly reptative lyrics but huge vocal performance from Hetfield and the longest song on the album. Overall, more songs like "The Unnamed Feeling" and less songs like "Purify" Plus guitar solos and normal tuning and metallica could have bben on to a classic heavy metal record. As it happens many would be happy with an album of this quality but this is Metallica, they need an album the quality closer to "Master Of Puppets" rather than "Load."