St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
Metallica: St. Anger

The sound has changed once agian. It does take some time to get used to the sound acctually. Unlike what any metallica basher might say, they kinda turned to their roots. The sound isn't very warm, like anything from Black Album, this one has the more bad-ass sound. A lot say the songs look-a-like, but to be honest I find that more on their first 3 albums than on this one. Don't get fooled by the bashers.

The lyrics are better than on (Re)Load. 01. Frantic - this one made me think. The point of the song I guess. 02. St. Anger - shows how 'produced' this album is. James' voice sounds so much different than live. Live it's kick ass, this is bob rock bored. 03. Some Kind Of Monster - the good old screaming James. where did he go? Lyrical wise also good. Also live better. 04. Dirty Window - hm, hard to rate. Good riff and all, but the lyrics repeat is getting boring after a while. 05. Invisible Kid - I guess this is about James as a child. 'He doesn't want the attention you give'. 06. My World - oh, yeah, all I can say. 07. Shoot Me Agian - tells the bashers whatever you will say (all the shit you fake), they won't change (comes back to haunt you). 08. Sweet Amber - a song about beer I reackon. Deals with it pretty good. 09. The Unnamed Feeling - musical-wise good, but not to sure about the lyrics. Not to sure what the unnamed feeling might be. Probably why it's un-named. 10. Purify - rhytmic rap? The bridge and chorus are good. Bit random. 11. All Within My Hands - wouldn't be suprised if it's about loving them by choking them to death, i.e. Jason. Also, don't expect any 'Scanning the scene in the city tonight'-like lyrics, they are deep, but not as blurry as (Re)Load.

I find it their best album, next to Master Of Puppets. Apart from The Unnamed Feeling they are all pretty rough songs. I love it because of everything that it has, but I hate it for what it lacks solos. Kirk (on Some Kind Of Monster): 'I don't really feel the need to show off anymore'. Maybe true, but you regret it now. If it were stolen, I'd probably become known as the guy who killed a thief over a Metallica CD. This is highly recommendable if you are a Metallica fan. But if you are one of those guys saying 'I only like the first 4 albums...' you can lick your own scrotum instead of buying this album. Also, I liked it from the moment I put it in my CD-player. I've grown up listening to Metallica, and after not hearing any new stuff since I disappear, I was really enjoyed. Also, before you start hating me 'cause I like St. Anger, Metallica at least has the guts to; suddenly leave out solo's; suddenly change their sound. If they were making Kill 'em All 9 now, we'd all be 'change your f--king sound!', as I do with Depech Mode, but now they do occasionally change their sound, and you are all bitching about it. Grow up, or start your own band building on the Master Of Puppets sound, instead of bashing Metallica for having guts.