St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
Metallica: St. Anger

In the year 2003 Metallica released the album "St. Anger." As most would know they have had a lot of trouble with bassists, ever since Cliff Burton was killed in a tour bus accident and Jason Newsted walked out on the band. So Met-fans were left in waiting to see what the sound of their new bassist would be. They made a good choise in choosing Rob Trujillio. The album lightens up on metal, it is more of a rock/alternative experimentation that didn't turn out too well. I find that the songs drone on and on repeating the same phrases and aren't broken up with amazing solos by hammet.

The lyrics are rather good. They are mostly based on life experiences, most noteably "Sweet Amber" which sings about Hetfield's battle with alchoholism. Traditionally, it was Hetfield and Ulrich that wrote the Lyrics to the songs, but in "St. Anger" the whole band contributed. This doesn't give the songs thespark they had in their other albums. As always, Hetfield's voice is absolutely flawless.

This album is definately down the bottom end of my list of all my Metallica CD's. In fact, I found that this album was a big letdown, I really did miss the solo's. The album doesn't quite equal the old albums, this might just be my opinion, but, it just isn't 'metally' enough and songs just go for far too long. Don't get me wrong, I love Metallica but all in all I wouldn't suggest this album to anyone who wants a Metallica CD. I would re-buy the CD only because I am a collector.