St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
Metallica: St. Anger

This album kind of reminds me of ...And Justice For All in that it has horrible production and you can barely hear the bass lines. The difference of course is that ...And Justice still had classic songs like blackened and one, St. Anger not so much. Now I liked the documentary, but it may have promoted the idea that if a band isn't made up of drug-addicts they can't make a good album. The guitars tune to Drop C which is fine, but the drums sound like trash cans being banged repeatedly, as if Metallica were only trying to form a garage band that pissed of their geriatric neighbors instead of actually sounding good. Also, they got a new bassist, but since no bass player for Metallica has been much of an influence on the writing process since Cliff died, I really don't see how that's significant (although I do like Trujillo). Now, a song by song breakdown. 01. Frantic - could have been an intense song good to bang your head along to, instead has a slow and annoying chorus "keeeep searchin" and a line written by a Hot wheels loving 12 year old part of Hetfield: "My lifestyle determines my death style". Still, it does maintain that good fast riff for a good portion of it. 02. St. Anger - I actually think this song does a good song of building tension and agression. But it does get old. 03. Some Kind Of Monster - the beggining of the song repeats far too much but once we get to the vocals there is a nice, catchy riff that carries most of the song. Fun to listen to aside from the rather ridiculous lyrics. 04. Dirty Window - here, the lyrics are interesting as Hetfield puts himself on the jury stand but the actual sound is just flat out annoying. 05. Invisible Kid - I like the main riff, but once again the chorus slows everything down and makes it a lesser song. 06. My World - absolutely adrenaline-packed and catchy to boot. 07. Shoot Me Again - great song to listen to when you're pissed off. 08. Sweet Amber - I love the bridge, and the chorus actually continues the feeling of the good, fast riff. 09. The Unnamed Feeling - it just flat out gets the ambiance down. I likes it. 10. Purify - amazing riff swallowed by a horrible chorus but saved by an excellent bridge. 11. All Within My Hands - it starts out interestingly but only gets annoying after about the first minute and a half.

Most of the lyrics are pretty dumb, and some tracks seem like they were sung by a dying cat named James. However it is interesting to look at the liner notes to see what the band was going through as they wrote the lyrics.

St. Anger isn't the worst album out there, but it's far from the best. Purify, Some Kind Of Monster, Invisible Kid, My World, Frantic, and Sweet Amber offer catchy riffs but half of them are swallowed by ugly and annoying choruses. Dirty Window and All Within My Hands are just plain annoying, and St. Angers a bit too repetitive. If it were stolen I'd be pretty ticked off because then I couldn't sell it to 10 and under year olds. I'm not saying it's terrible but I would probably find a better cd to replace it with pretty quick.