St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 1 Junky
Metallica: St. Anger

I bought this album the day it came out and it's a good thing it was only $10, even though it's not worth that. I've been a Metallica fan since Justice and I will honestly tell you that St. Anger is by all means the worst piece of "recording" Metallica has ever created! The drums are just horrible sounding, and the guitars are messy. There is nothing inovative about not having guitar solos. Many new bands are doing that and I think it's due to lack of talent and skill. I've heard many live albums that have better sound quality than this. I do have to admit that some the songs have at least picked up the pace again.

The lyrics make absolutley no sense! Where did this stuff come from? Hetfield was a master lyricist up through the Black album. If there was one thing you could count out it was the creativity in the lyrics. This album has nothing but babbling and that goes on and on and on. At least you can still understand the lyrics as sung!

I wouldn't miss this album at all if it was stolen. I've even tried listening to this album at different times tinking it would grow on me like the Black album did but it hasn't. Hopefully now with Rick Rubin on board and Bob Rock out we'll see some much needed improvements and a return to the roots that made Metallica an "icon."

Metallica708
    jesus christ. i'm so sick of people whining about there being no solos. so ****ing what?