St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
Metallica: St. Anger

Some people seem to find it hard to tell the difference between "crap" and "different." This album was "different." Sure, I didn't like it as much as the other albums, but it's still a great album. Every song is in Drop C tuning, meaning a darker heavier sound than the stuff in Re/Load. It's true, there were/are some amazing artists who never changed their musical formula, but are never boring (i.e. The Ramones, Motorhead). However, as much as I would have loved a rerun of Ride The Lightning, St. Anger was a breath of fresh air. The drumming was good IMO, though at times it does sound like dustbin lids crashing. And I do miss the solo's, but it was part of the "F--k You" attitude.

The lyrics go from bizzare to so deep almost moving me to cry. E.g. the lyrics in St. Anger are terrible ("St. Anger round my neck, he never gets respect/St. anger round my neck) but the lyrics in The Unnamed Feeling are really from the heart and all that shit (I won't post examples). The lyrics fitted in with the music well, e.g. Frantic is an extremely fast paced song, and the lyrics are about living fast etc.

It's not as good as some of the other albums (with the exception of load) but its still a great album. The most impressive song has to be the unnamed feeling. I love the whole "why the f--k should I do what you want" attitude of this album. It makes me want to go out and smash a window. I hate the amount of hate that this album has generated. Everyone goes "This album is teh shitness! No solos! Black Album is the pwningness!" Well, I say f--k you to them. If it were stolen, I would find the person who stole it, drive the headstock of my guitar through their head and would take it back. Or just buy it again. Overall, a good album, but a little below standard.

Torico
    "Robert Trujillo was definately an excellent choice for bass, he's such an excellent bass player. Without his bass booming in the background and creating some really cool riffs St. Anger would not be the same." I guess it's not the same then, lol. Bass was played by Bob Rock.
    Cliff_Hetfield
    ^Retarded. What the **** is "The Kirk"? and when does he say "St. Anger on my Neck"? Limp Bizkit doesn't music like that anymore, and P.O.D usually uses Chords on and intro. Also neither of those bands use Double Bass Pedals, like Ulrich does in St. Anger.
    pkeeling
    The thing is if they stayed radio pop metallike the last few you would bitch. So they go back to the basics and now its not produced enough. Sorry they can't make you happy. And by the way, Robert didn't play bass on the album, Bob Rock did.