St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Metallica: St. Anger

This album is really cool and fun to listen to but it doesnt even come close to Metallica's early stuff. I was disappointed about no guitar solos but the rhythm guitar riffs are awesome! My favorite songs on here is probably Some Kind Of Monster but all the songs are decent. One thing that I really dont like though is Lars' new snare drums. It sounds like he is banging on metal trash can lids. I love the intensity and anger on this CD.

The lyrics just plain out suck on here. In fact they're terrible on some songs like frantic and St. Anger but awesome on Some Kind Of Monster and the Unnamed Feeling and other songs. Hetfield's voice isn't that great on this CD compared to say the Black Album or Master Of Puppets. They used to have the best lyrics ever, especially on Ride The Lightning and ...And Justice For All.

If this CD were stolen I would definatley buy it again. I love the riffs in it even though the lyrics aren't that great. I didn't this CD nearly as much as I do now before I saw the Some Kind Of Monster movie. What most people who are really big fans of Metallica don't realize is all the stuff Metallica was going through. James had just gotten back from rehabilitation where he had been for 11 months, and the whole band had growing tensions with each other and they were angery at each other, especially Lars and James. What people don't realize is that this isn't supposed to be a masterpiece. Every song was written in the recording studio. And to everyone who is mad about no solos, Kirk was mad too about it. Overall this is an awesome CD.

daver869
    "Mediocre guitar + "the suck" bass + average drumming + a screaming frontman + keyboard/synth/whatever the f--k that annoying screeching is in the background = bad." The screeching in the backround is actually the drums. They can do better. I think the reason why SA is bad is beacuse James was in rehab.
    <_<_>_>
    This album is GODDAMNED ELECTRIC People can't learn to respect the fact that this album, as well as every other album they have made, is a reflection of how they feel at the time. The album has great raw sound but its real heavy too. The lyrics were great... Amazing to see these guys still given it their all at 40... ****in HEAVY. BLEED BLACK LABEL