St. Anger review by Metallica

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Jun 5, 2003
  • Sound: 8
  • Lyrics: 6
  • Overall Impression: 7
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
  • Users' score: 5.7 (838 votes)
Metallica: St. Anger
14

Sound — 8
If you like older Metallica, or if you like newer Metallica, it just doesn't matter. This is totally unlike anything they've done. The guitars are tuned down to drop C, for a dirtier, heavier noise, Hetfield's singing is very unpolished, probably done with minimal takes, and the drumming is different for what most people are accustom to. The snare is more of a "ping" sound than a "snap" sound, immediately unattracting a lot of people.

Lyrics — 6
I personally believe this is the best singing Hetfield's done. Why? Because it's so unbelievably raw and hard. He's never sung like he has on this album. Breathlessly shouting "Frantic-tic-tic-toc," much like how everyone else has quoted in their reviews, is very exciting to hear. And there's still a lot more moments like that in the album than just that part. The singing is very rough around the edges, but it rightfully should be. I don't see why this is such a major issue for some people. This is metal, not pop music. If I wanted perfect singing I'd listen to some trashy Pop star, not heavy metal. Lyric-wise, everyone else seems to say that the lyrics are aweful. They aren't that bad, but honestly I don't get what's so great about Metallica's lyrics in the first place. It is different, but I don't see it as much of a step forward or a step backwards, honestly.

Overall Impression — 7
People who say this is "nu-Metallica" or "mallcore" are total idiots, and I'll say why: this is by far the most raw, dirty, unpollished, and un-catchy Metallica's ever been. Long and extremely un-radio friendly tracks make up a majority of this album (The shortest song is over five minutes long). Tell me how this is Metallica trying to imitate nu-metal? This isn't a catchy album. It's not supposed to be. It's a middle finger to anyone who said Metallica's sold out and lost their touch. Most people just don't get it. With a name like St. Anger, it's a dark, 70-minute anger-fest. And it does a damn good job. So what do you do? Half the people say this album's total shit, the other half praise it. It's easy, just listen to one song. Somehow, download it, borrow it, something. Just manage to hear one song, once. Any song. See how you react. If you can't stand the unusual drumming, singing, and guitar, then just don't get the album. If it's differences interest and excite you (like for me) then get it. Only you know if you're going to actually like it.

41 comments sorted by best / new / date

    Pan-Tallica
    Checked. I won't lie to you guys, I can't be bothered to type up a long comment regarding what I think of those who say stupid stuff like "Metallica sold out"... Instead, let me just say this, something that's been said hundreds upon hundreds of times, but some people still fail to realize it: The band is getting old. Their older music was written by younger, admittedly less mature individuals; as they've changed over time, their musical styles have changed with them. Don't just rip on their new stuff because it's different, it's still Metallica.
    Dr.Tomahawk
    DeathBeam wrote: Yup i think i understand what you're trying to say, like people are more angered by the fact they sold out than the fact they have no solo's.
    In a way yeah. I dont think i explained myself very well there, my bad.
    stoneburner655
    I think the album was a major letdown. As soon as me and my friend heard it we threw it out the car window. BUT, after watching Some Kind of Monster I came to appreciate the effort and "art" (if you will) that it was. I still wouldnt encourage anyone to go buy it though.Watch Some Kind of Monster and then give the album a listen to better get a feel for what the band was trying to express.
    Last Ablaze
    defineately not up to parr with what we expect from the one of the greatest metal bands to ever exist.
    DeathBeam
    Dr.Tomahawk wrote: Yeah im all for songs with no Solo's but this is Metallica for crying out loud, and thats Kirk Hammett on lead guitar, they call it lead guitar for a reason and if i have to explain that reason you all need to be shot. I think the thing that annoys poeple the most is not just the fact theres no solo's in the album, as though they couldnt stand to listen to a song with no solo's but the fact that this album came out in 2003 which was a time when a lot of Nu Metal bands were at thier greatest and Nu Metal songs tend to have no solo's and slow/mid tempo heavy thundering riffs, just like Metallica on the album St.Anger
    Yup i think i understand what you're trying to say, like people are more angered by the fact they sold out than the fact they have no solo's.
    Dr.Tomahawk
    Yeah im all for songs with no Solo's but this is Metallica for crying out loud, and thats Kirk Hammett on lead guitar, they call it lead guitar for a reason and if i have to explain that reason you all need to be shot. I think the thing that annoys poeple the most is not just the fact theres no solo's in the album, as though they couldnt stand to listen to a song with no solo's but the fact that this album came out in 2003 which was a time when a lot of Nu Metal bands were at thier greatest and Nu Metal songs tend to have no solo's and slow/mid tempo heavy thundering riffs, just like Metallica on the album St.Anger
    MasterofOrion
    arhh. Okay so, this song i found, Chains of pain. I really dont know if its metallica or not. I found it on limewire while looking for some of their newer stuff and i found this. " Metallica-New Album-Chains of pain". I honestly have no idea if thats really metallica because if so then James is doing screamo. But I've looked it up and i cant find any artists that sing this song. So, in my opinion. If this is NEW METALLICA? ; HOLY SH*T, RIGHT F*CKING ON BOYS! If this isnt Metallica; Who the hell!?
    Zwart
    if you don't like it than don't buy it! and if you want your solo's listen to children of bodom or steve vai or Michael Angelo Batio, Yngwie Malmsteen and that kind of shit I like metallica for the guitar style of Kirk, don't mind there are no solo's
    Ibzman
    McKillswitch wrote: Bob rocks killed another metallica album...
    Lets hope that Rick Rubin will bring the flame back
    Missino
    Kirk wanted to have guitar solos on Metallica's 2003 album, St. Anger, but drummer Lars Ulrich and producer Bob Rock thought that the solos did not sound right in the songs.
    (Quote from Wikipedia.org) If solos don't fit in the songs...Then maybe the songs aren't worth having. I mean, face it. They are hardly musical masterpieces!
    maiden owns
    ye tru metal albums need solos. maby metallica should rip a page out of maidens book!
    M.B.MetalTabber
    This is a great album - so they experimented, wrote different sorts of songs etc, WHO CARES?! Tell me, what other band could write a full album where all the songs are rather lengthy (the majority between 6 and 8 minutes) and not a single song has a solo or a boring part?
    guitarist41
    This album only gets slated becuase it's not old-school Metallica. That's the only reason.
    gutfeeling666
    I heard that Metallica are making some better stuff. Man, they better shape up and get back there good ol' Metal sound of Kill, Ride, Justice and Black Album! And throw in some friggen solo's for c**ist's sake!
    Sandman8591
    I think its so funny that all these people are trying say that the lyrics dont make sense. It makes this people look like effing retards. "wtf DoEs mi lyFestyle dtermeens my dethstyle meAn?" Learn how to speak english and then get some brains. And about the sound of this album... Metallica would be selling out if surcumbed to all you "hardcore Metalliwackers" whining about them writing the music they want to and writing music that YOU want THEM to. It seriously pisses me off.
    not_dead_enough
    I don't care what anyone says: THIS ALBUM ROCKS!!!
    04. Dirty Window - terrible, how can Metallica produce "Some Kind Of Monster" in one seesion then this peice of emo crap in the next one.
    idiot
    Metallicam
    I dont know whats worse, the people whining that this isn't as good as the old stuff, or the people whining about THOSE people. You're all whiny bitches. Kill Em All all the through to St-Anger has been great.
    creepingdeth428
    First of all The people who base there like for a band vs. their older stuff are stupid. But thats not why this album isn't that good. Metallica failed to keep the songs interesting enough to make you want to listen to them for 8 minutes. The repeativness makes me want to kill myself. Their older stuff is better because of the somewhat complex arrangments. And finally for the record Jimi Hendrix and Guns N Roses are the two most overrated acts ever, and don't even get close to Metallica.
    norths01
    Metallica is the shit but no solos cumon maybe they should listen to a bit of acadaca now thats one hell of a fucin band ANGUS YOUNG=LEGEND
    MasterofOrion
    I can agree with people when they say that Bob Rock Ruined metallica, and honestly, i somewhat agree because when you consider the melodic\trashy\kickass songs, the speed and the hard ass attitude Metallica had before Bob Rock came into the picture, the change is obvious. & So they cut they're hair and suddenly sunglasses became important. But I have nothing BAD to say about metallica because I know that age is beginning to be a factor and that they are in fact experimenting and going new places with their music. ( take James for example, hes still experimenting with his hair ) St Anger, is the album in question. Definitely Some good songs, but in my opinion I found that the songs went from Fast and up beat to an almost sudden stop like in St anger when James starts to sing " St Anger round my neck ". If they would have put less " slow " parts in the songs and Replaced a few of them with solos the album would be Amazing. In my opinion, is the old metallica better? HELL YES. Am i gonna hate newer metallica because its different? HELL NO. METALLICA OWNS.
    king_O_dudes
    i have their albums from the 80's, when i heard St. Anger on tv i didnt even bother having a look at it in a store...tsk tsk
    soadrocker103
    l)ragonForce wrote: it ended when the black album came out
    aint that the mother****ing truth
    poopsmith666
    jesus christ. i'm so sick of people whining about there being no solos. so ****ing what ?
    Nice, I caught that. But anyway, for all the lameass whiners who complain about there being no solos, who gives a shit? The solo is not even half of what makes the song. Don't get me wrong, the songs like, One, Master of Puppets, Battery, all have sick solos, and I appreciate that. So do most people. But thats not the point, assclowns. The point is just to make a kick ass song, and see what gives. The solo is just for kicks, more or less. Making a solo is retards work, no thought involved. Two handed tapping, accending and decending, then go up really high, do some bends, add some wah, maybe even some whammy if you feel like it. But to write the actual meat and bones of the song is twice as important. Having a sick solo is like having a massive dong. sure, it'd be NICE, but you don't really need one. And for any of you who watched the documentary on how they made the album, "Some Kind of Monster", you'd realize that they all said that after the songs were all made and shit, they tried to put in the solos, but they sounded out of place and really shitty. So basically, you dirty ****ers, who can't get on with your daily ****ing lives without a solo, **** off! Keep on listening to all the old stuff, (which is much better, i'll give you that ) and have a massive shit in your pants when they come out with another album, and when one of the songs has no solo, go crying to your mom, with you 80's "Flock of Seagulls" hairdo, and bitch and complain then. You're just stuck in the ****ing 80's, get over it (well, so am I, but not that much). Metallica will always > you and all your other bands. Get with the program, this is 2007 for ****'s sake! (Happy New Years, btw)
    metalmiliita56
    I stopped listening after justice and I still dont know how they went from true real thrash metal to the black album how does that happen!!!!!
    Dr.Tomahawk
    M.B.MetalTabber wrote: This is a great album - so they experimented, wrote different sorts of songs etc, WHO CARES?! Tell me, what other band could write a full album where all the songs are rather lengthy (the majority between 6 and 8 minutes) and not a single song has a solo or a boring part?
    Lol a lot of people would disagree with you about the boring parts
    supersolus666
    i didnt read this whole page but did anyone other than me notice that the verse in st. anger "**** it all and ****ing no regrets" is from damage inc. as well
    METAL MILITIA1
    its not thier best album and they could do better but it was ok, and that bob rocks gone we should see some improvement on the next album
    PsychoKNTX
    Hey, metallica's had some rough times! But they will bounce back. Just the fact that everyone is arguing about this shows how good the music they put out is expected to be!
    KileManA7X
    Pretty good cd. I only love the first 4 though. I still can't wait till the next one.
    x_themetalfan_x
    Thinking about this album and chatting about it while working has led me to a conclusion which I feel accurately describes this album. In terms of Metallica's work, this album is a letdown. They have done much better and I still believe they can get back to their more talented works even if they keep this more modern style. In terms of the whole of mainstream music at the moment, this is a high. In a world where our radio waves echo with nothing but washed out modern rock, hollow pop, and depressing pseudo-punk bullshit this album rocks it all to shit. (At least that's my opinion)
    Styx
    Yep, this album is very repeating and it makes the songs boring, also the lack of solos in the songs makes it boring, is not that bad it's just diferent from the old Metallica,if it had solos and not repeat the chorus every 25 seconds it would be a good album.
    zeptallica06
    I speak for myself when I say that I love everything Metallica has ever recorded. Whether it be Kill'em All or St. Anger to Ramones cover songs to S & M. If anyone is a true Metallica fan they will appreciate the bands versatility a freedom to create whatever music they please. It doesn't matter what happened with Napster or whether you feel they sold out after AJFA or if St. Anger sucks to you. If you are a diehard Metallica fan like you all preach then show them respect for what they have accomplished. Can you say the same musically for yourself ? I know I can't but at the end of the day after reading these reviews and these comments I know Metallica rocks either way.
    DaliLama
    Hetfield can no longer (and never has been able to in my opinion) sing!
    Dude you are insane. I would like you to right now put on "The Thing That Should Not Be" and sing along. His range and control is overlooked because of his unusual tone and vocal distortion style. Hetfield sings his ASS off on Master of Puppets and sounds incredible. He doesn't sound so hot now but don't tell me could never sing!
    DevilsDance76
    Why do ppl criticize Rob? He had no influence on the album.....I'm not a huge fan of this album but St. Anger is an ok album
    Beyond_Insanity
    Dude, I really don't know what every one is talking about? Does it really matter if it was in the same style or not? And what excactly is "wrong" with nu metal? Seriously is it really worth arguing over? And really (I'm not trying to make anyone angry or be a hypocrate) but metallica really could'nt even stand up to older rock bands. (Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Guns N' Roses, etc...) Please do not make any hate comments cause it's really not worth arguing over. New and old metalists...rock on.