St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
Metallica: St. Anger

It's a heavy sound, with cool riffs, not very fast but still good. It annoys me when people dismiss this album as rubbish because it isnt like master of puppets, that is one metallica album, they are different now get over it. Metallica have agood heavy sound, early meatllica is speed metal, I like that aswell but newer metallica has slower but heavyer riffs. I love this album.

The lyrics are very good, most people say they are rubbish because they have only lissened to Frantic "Fran tick tick tick tock", true that bit doesnt't make a lot of sence on it's own but with other bits it does. The lyrics in Sweet Amber and Some kind Of Monster are fabulous, "wash your back so you wont stab mine" is a excellent line, the story behind it is that the radio said if you don't do this then we will not play your songs, give bad reviews etc.

Comparing to other albums it's way at the top if not the top, I think it's fabulous, good riffs, good lyrics, the DVD Some Kind Of Monster behind the making of this album, is excellent I wrote a review of that aswell. very very good in general. If it were lost I would deffo get a new one.

Cobalt Blue
    I think people are to hard on the album. it's not there best work, but it's not their worst. It's just different. If before I heard the album somebody had told me it wasn't a Metallica album.. i would have believed them.
    Phill-Rock
    I dont mind that theres no solo's. It gave me a chance to see what solo i could come up with in response to a hetfield riff, then i rerecorded it with my friends equipment and put it on my mp3 player.
    XMetallicaX
    Well this album definetly was'nt a "Master of Puppets" or "Ride the Lightning" kind of album but hey, they messed up. Metallica is one of the best metal bands in history (the best in my perspective). Give them break and lets all hope the next album kicks some ass.
    Shabalaba
    You no what I have picked up, old Metallica fans arent Metallica fans they are album fans. They liked the first few albums then didnt like the rest. So F*** off if you dont like it tough shit.
    DimaSelivanov
    All bands need to change their style once in a while to try to fit in with the times and play for people's changing interest, as well as entertain their older fans. Although not as good as earlier albums, St. Anger showed just how resilient the band is, and that it's capable of playing with todays masses of metal bands.
    St. Angry
    You have to remember that MetallicA was going through rough times when making this album. The movie "Some kind of Monster" is a good documentary about it. And this album is not that bad. The only real thing i didnt like was the guitars were tuned drop C. I like the album. Just look at my user-name!
    -metalhead-
    why cant anybody get the **** over the fact that metallica changes its style in music...? i like all their albums...if you stop comparing old metallica with new metallica you might enjoy them both! it ****ing pisses me off!!
    Nightstrider
    Oh, if ever an album made me want to toss my cookies, it was this one. The final serenade of a band that dug their own graves.
    Hammett_4
    On its own St. Anger isn't that bad... not much variation though and i miss guitarsolo's...but when I hear St. Anger i always think of the good ol' pre 1990 albums and then it DOES suck..
    scottishmob
    DaliLama wrote: Hetfield can no longer (and never has been able to in my opinion) sing! Dude you are insane. I would like you to right now put on "The Thing That Should Not Be" and sing along. His range and control is overlooked because of his unusual tone and vocal distortion style. Hetfield sings his ASS off on Master of Puppets and sounds incredible. He doesn't sound so hot now but don't tell me could never sing!
    Somebodys never heard Load or S/M.