St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Metallica: St. Anger

In May 2007, the album was featured in Q magazines "10 Most Insane Albums Ever"; due to James Hetfield's recording hours, alcohol problems and the departure of Jason Newsted, then underneath a section of the article with the heading: "Is It Any Good?"; it says the production is "tinny" and that the songs "just aren't good enough" and says that Hetfield's singing is out of key.

The lyrics are pretty clear. It's about things like alcoholism, drug addicts and the way they can affect you. I don't think this is really special becuase there have been loads of songs about this. I don't like the singing. I used to love metallica, but this album was awful compared to the older albums like 'master of puppets'. The singing is just a bit of screaming into the microphone. I'm sorry James.

Like I said before, I can't compare it to any other album from metallica, or any other artist. There might be comparable albums, but I don't like this type of music, so if there would be any, I won't find out. Maybe you will like it, so first try it before you make up an opinion, but I think that the real metallica fans won't appreciate this album.

BCWarlockRICH
    its not really as bad as older metallica fans claim. Its nowhere as good as metallica, but it isnt THAT bad. This was the first metallica CD i ever bought, and hadnt heard much by them before this, even though it just came out (last year?) but now theyre my favorite band, nd i have all of their CDs and songs. Even if it isnt great, i owe this CD alot.
    bass face 666
    its really annoying when people go around dissing the black album by saying they made it too please people and saying that they should be themselves...then when metallica actually does do just that...they give them complete shit. personally i love this album. i admit its nowhere near their best, but reload was way worse than that. atleast i can listen to this whole album. and i also want to add, that this album has a lot of traits showing that metallica is returning to the thrash metal band we love. if you pay close attention you hear the double bass. in the song 'all within my hands' [which is a really good song about jason for all those who care], you find thats its filled with riffs like master of puppets. but anyway id give this album a 7. dont like it? well its my opinion. you dont have to buy it. you dont have to listen to it. so dont go around trashing all of us who do like it. end rant
    lilllll j
    metallica lost their vibe when they started doing more and more similar songs. They need to make a truely uniqe song so even the old metal fans can die easy.
    KingSquall802
    MetallicA is my life. I love everything on it. True metal bands experiments with their sounds, exploring their talents. There's nothing bad about the new sound, its just different. ok? maybe ure just jealous on Metallica, u guys were taking advantage of their difference, harsh words had been thrown to them. If they go back to their old school roots, promise, you will all Kneel to them. Look at other metal bands, they are really afraid to change sound, because they are just limited, sticked their butts to metal only. and some people are getting tired listening to them. they are still the greatest metal band. but they are just having fun right now. Metallica is the only different metal band. thats what makes them great.