St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 1.3 Junky
Metallica: St. Anger

St. Anger is not only a mistake made by Metallica, but also the showing of a poor bass-player desicion to replace Cliff. Yes, the sound of St. Anger only presented generic riffs that a brain-dead Spider Monkey could play with his teeth, and a drum beat to deafen the masses. the sound of true Metallica is why ex-core listeners dislike this album. Metallica just set such a high standard to accomplish that they couldn't do it. They just couldn't keep up with the interests of their rock-solid neck muscled fans, who have been head-banging to Creeping Death all day. As much as I love Metallica, I truly wish that they would have dropped the band when Cliff died. Each member of Metallica has their own unique keystone to the band. When one dies out, they all follow. St. Anger was the result of a badly made audio entertainment aide, if you will. The bass player couldn't pass off as a mediocre talent, let alone Metallica-worthy. The riffs are monotonous, the drums are out of beat, and the bass is too horrible to insult. The singing is a bit low for the essence of Metallica. it's a shame that the original Heavya$$, hardcore, trash metal band, who set influences for countless other bands, would put an album out like this. It's a horrible shame, and an even worse truth. Plus no song on this album could keep up with the amazing rapid guitar of Hit The Lights.

Repetitive, poorly written, pointless, unneeded lyrics were at the head of this horrible album. Personally, I don't think Metallica needs lyrics. Listen to Call Of The Ktulu, and Orion. Lyrics are immaterial, and are not needed. Past that, the lyrics relate to other songs with a disturbing resemblance. "F--k you all, no regrets. I hit the lights on these dark steps" from St. Anger (song) and "Hit the lights aaaahhh" from hit the lights, are nearly the same, except Hit The Lights is better. The singer definitely dissapointed me greatly on this album.

Please, save yourself the agony, and don't buy this album. Don't get me wrong, I have never downloaded a Metallica album illegally (I know it's hard to believe), but I support Metallica, and feel guilty stealing their music. This album is not stealing from Metallica, it is stealing good music from you. I am yet to run into a worse Metallica song than St. Anger, and hope I Never will. St. Anger is the deformed child of Unearth, Killswitch Engage, and any really bad Nu-Metal band you can think of. It's just pure agony to the ears. All drive, no clean is not the way to go. Ex-core listeners loved the combination of Rip your Heart out songs like Nothing Else Matters and Mama Said, and Death-Metal-That-Makes-Your-Head-Explode (in a good way) songs like Creeping death and The memory Remains. But that is all gone. St. Anger just makes me want to beat my computer with a raw herring (in a bad way) until the song stops, or my computer breaks, Whichever comes first. And if I can still hear after that, I might pump tar into my head to ease the pain of the rest of the album. The point is, I write this because true Metallica is awesome, and this disappointed me. Please take this Review Seriously, because I am trying to keep the ears of All Metallica listeners out there safe.

metalmanjosip
    ok **** here we go no solos- bad get over it gritty/randoly heavy, listen to demon hunter get over it it is ****ing heavy as shit and i love it when im pissed off it is their worst album get over it you make better thanks
    solo_freak
    bob rock sucks ass but this isn't that bad!!!! like some guy said before, you need to see skom to understand it. if any other band would have come up with something lie this then it would be considered their best work. also, they tried to put solos on this record but they didn't sound good.
    dio_dude
    i wish that metallica would ****in retire already! Rob looks like a ****in tiki statue on stage, rock and the band kicked out kirks solos, james can't write lyrics for shit anymore, they changed their logo (again), and now with this c tuning bullshit, i dont know anymore! And ulrich has ****ed his snare sound sooo bad! Metallica sounded more like a garage band in their earlier albums, so why did they try and change to sound like it?
    Ali-b912
    bob rock played the bass on the St anger recordings, not robert trujilo. he looks like a monkey. st anger songs are alright except for the drumming, and to me they all seemed repetetive.