St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 1.3 Junky
Metallica: St. Anger

What can I say about this album. Criticizing the sound of this album is like picking on a special kid. You feel bad after criticizing this album. The first thing is what is up with Lars' drums, they sound like he was playing with pots and pans. Maybe he lost his drumset. Who knows. Metallica were trying to be nu thrash metal or something, either way there were no songs worth mentioning and everything was way underproduced for Metallica. Again if I say anything bad I feel like I'm pickin on a retard.

The lyrics were metallica trying to do nu metal's emotional lyrics but they come off weird coming from 40 year old millionaires. Anyway Hetfields vocals are obviously off pitch and you can hear him hit the wrong note on most of the albums tracks (minus the title track). I guess they were trying to make an angrier sound so the lyrics are attempted to be angry and I guess they should be applauded for that.

This is undoubtedly metallicas worst album of all time. There is absolutley no thrash purity from this album. What we got was Reload mixed with disturbed minus metallicas solo's. The only thing is that Metallica tried to make a throw back to albums like Kill em All and Master of Puppets. The songs just lack the musical quality and agression and songwriting ability that metallica displayed on all there other albums. Relaod is where I personally see the End point and personally I saw this coming about a mile away. I think that this should be used as a torture device and anybody who wants to steal it they are welcome to it.

roarinflames
    why do people continue to review this album? all it ever gets is 1/10 because everyone has to hop on the "st. anger sucks" bandwagon. stop and imagine this not being a metallica album. is your viewpoint different. i thought this album was alright. i dont think its nearly as bad as everyone puts out. it is a very aggressive record. that was the goal. the sound quality sucks, that was its goal. get over it metallica is not dead go see em live. they're alive and thriving. and i cant wait for the new album. and to be honest the songs on this album are pretty fun to play.
    roarinflames
    and you my friend are way too dramatic and have too much time on your hands to describe an album you hate. if you dont like it. just say you dont like it. cause nobody cares what you would rather do instead of listen to this CD. for ****s sake, dude just go read a book or something
    myacidwords13
    Goddamnit, I'm tired of hearing people say that "St. Anger is the most brutal Metallica album yet" and shit like that. St. Anger was terrible. I used to be a dire hard fan until I heard this shit. Now I can't even listen to Metallica, I've lost all respect for them. What the hell happened to James's voice? I never thought he was that great of a singer, but in songs like "Shoot me Again" and "Purify", the vocals are painful to listen to. Also, Kirk sounds worse than a beginner guitarist trying to play "Smoke on the Water" for the first time. And lets not even talk about the drums... All these fags are trying to defend this album when it straight up blows! Metallica's dead, let the dream die. Listen to some death or black metal and you'll discover what "brutal" sounds like, cause it's certainly not St. Anger.
    myacidwords13
    I'm ****ing tired of hearing that "this is the best metallica album" and "people just can't except that it's different" and my favorite, "YEAH OH MY GOD DUDE!! THIS ALBUM IS SO BRUTAL!!! NU-METAL RULES!!" No. Just no. St. Anger was terrible. If you want brutal, listen to death/black metal, cause your not gonna find "brutal" music by listening to Metallica, let alone St. Anger. F**k everyone who defends this album!
    myacidwords13
    Zombie spawn wrote: one more statement about this piece of processed fecal matter: I would rather stick my right hand in a food processor, while being castrated with my left big toe being chopped off, soaking my left hand in BBQ sauce and feeding it to week-starved rotwilers, and lighting my hair on fire to cauterize my stub of a right leg that i had chopped off and eaten as a result of bordom from the first time listening to this album. yes i said it. i would rather do that than listen to that strip of canned tuna that is the new bass player, and the drummer who is either too old, or just stoned out of his mind to play drums, providing a beat that sounds like an epileptic elephant at a rave. All topped off with a rusty nail on a giant chalkboard that is the guitar rythems, and the injured male Moose giving Birth to a mix between a howler monkey, and a spider monkey who is making noises that give the impression that it has hydrochloric acid oozing from every pore in its' body, that is the "amazing" vocals that accompany every painful second of this album. Hoped i helped your desicion with this album. Have a nice day. This guy gets it.
    livewire76
    What a bunch of lameass fans Metallica have to suffer! So they've put out albums that arent "(insert fav. album here)" in quality, do you all really want and expect the same album every single time?? Another small detail you might want to reconsider before spewing your ringer is the situation the band was in at the time of St.Anger. They were so ****ed! Look at "some kind of monster". Hardly a band thats stable. They go from "what ****in' intamacy??" to group hugs! Im going to stick my neck out and say that the next album will piss all over "St.Anger", will have all you fakes scrambling to say "oh, i knew they'd come round eventually" and if im wrong so what? I'll still love this band. The ammount of postive things Metallica has given us compared to the negative is massive. If anyone in this columm can say that Metallica's music hasnt in some way brightend up their lives then what are you doing here? Just dissing a band you dont like? Get a life. From the true fans to the pretenders; Metal up your ass!
    guitarfreak222
    erm i hate this album its ****ing CRAP god i cant believe people rated 10 for this album man it should of never of been released
    Matthiasberndt
    I think it is a OK album... compared to much of the shit that is being released today it is good... but compared to early metaliica I think it sucks... they have lost their sound which made me like them.. the drums sound like i dont know what... dont like it though
    thenextkirk92
    this is not metal. its more rock. when i think of metal i think of 1 drunk frontman, 1 awesome greasy haired bass player, 1 ranting drummer and 1 talented shredder playing like there life depends on it in a sweaty bar in the Bay Area, CA From the true fans to the pretenders; Metal up your ass!