St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
Metallica: St. Anger

Metallica was going through an Earth formed hell around the time of working on this CD, they lost long-time bassist Jason Newsted, James was having problems with alcohol and other "addictions" and as a result went to rehab and therapy for a number of months during the recording and the others (Lars, Kirk and Bob) were worried when/if he'd return. The band hired a majorly over-priced therapist to try and help them (in the DVD I think he does all) and they came into the studio with absolutely no material and just took it from there. From all these problems and traumas you get the album St Anger, people bash this album continuosly because apparently it isn't a "Metallica album" well then who the is it, the cover clearly says "Metallica" clearly, I see metallica playing the songs, so it's Metallica, I believe this album is awesome, it's completely different from previous classics such as RTL MOP, but I like change, change is good, if there wasn't change then music wouldn't change and you'd constantly get kill 'em all weneva metallica released and album, that'd suck. I love this album, I luv the rawr power being unleashed from the tracks, some of these songs are in my top favourite metallica songs of all-time, I wouldn't clash it againstt MOP becuz it just too different. I don't care that there's no solos, if there's down-tuned guitars or if the drums sound like steel barrels, I love it, infact I think the drums give the album a very heavy feeling to em, especially during tracks such as "Frantic," "Dirty Window" and "All Within My Hands" this album is mega-heavy and I relly enjoy the sound they put in it.

I love the way james gives out the lyrics in the song, although they aren't comlex songs lyric or guitar-wise I still think he sets em off well, I can definetly feel his emotion in these songs (not that I couldn't feel em in the other albums but this is different). I believe James put 100% into the vocal skills and relly gives the listener a look into what the band was going through at the time.

I absolutely love this album and I won't stand back into the background while asses bash it for being different, I will always enjoy this album and I will always love Metallica, this is one of my favourite albums and I love turning to up to full ball and just thrashing away to the brilliance which is st anger. If you hate me or this album, go smoke a doobie.

RAGman22ReborN
    St. Anger was that which we didn't need. Perhaps I'm sounding stupid since I didn't have a computer until September 13, 2001 BUT id anyone take notice at how big downloading via napster, bitlord, kazaa, limewire and stuff became big and even done AFTER Metallica opened their big mouths over one hit single? Maybe I'm being stupid but that pretty much helped open the gates of destruction of making a living in the music industry, let alone floodgates to people downloading torrents and torrent-loads of discographies, dvd movies and even video games. In a nutshell, they helped in making the music business that much harder to work in.