St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
Metallica: St. Anger

Not bad, but I know they could have done better. I'm not so sure drop-c tunig was a good choice for them. The vocals and music does, however, blend well together. The better soungs were, "Frantic", "St. Anger", "Some Kind of Monster", "Dirty Window", and "The Unnamed Feeling". Othe rthan that the rest are just ok. Different, but that doesn't mena it's terrible.

The lyrics are harsher, more raw, and simply more brutal than Hetfeild has ever tried before. I think he did fairly well. He definately put a lot more kick into it this time around. I'm don't think it was a bad decision, only because I tihnk it was nice to see another side of him, lyrically. I still say hegoes back to the way he sang on The Black Album or Master of Puppets.

It compares with other artists with a fair fight. Nothing amazing, but not terrible. It did show a lot of talent. I see more effort put into it when compared to Load or ReLoad. The only thing I hated was the absence of guitar solos. The fact that Kirk stuck to rifffs as the highpoints of the song, rather than solos, just wasn't a great decision. Still, they did good and if I lost it, I would buy it again.

Guitarism12
    This album sounds like a bunch of hobos smashing bin lids together. Dam that was funny lol.
    FlyingV666
    This album sounds like a bunch of hobos smashing bin lids together.
    That sums it all up right there.
    Zombie spawn
    Shlecht
    ironwolg
    Shlecht wrote: oddly enough this is the album that got me into the band and inspired me to discover their older shit...im sure you can guess which kinda shit i ended up liking more. but i must say, "the unnamed feeling" is actually pretty good...its some in-your-face shit with some emotion.
    same here! i love this album and Death Magnetic willb e the best ever
    Pat_s1t
    My dad bought this a few weeks ago for me, while we were on vacation, and I was like "Sweet, Metallica!" ... NO!. This CD sucked. Cliff would be appalled at this...
    Darkness470
    Zombie spawn wrote: This album prettm much is in the same league as Dragonforce. And if you know me, thats really really really really really really really really bad, like worse than that singing parrot on crack, humerous but triggers a spontaneous urge to smash somethingwith a bat, usually the guitarist from dragonforce, the bass player Rob from metallica, or that god damn ****ing singing parrot...
    Rob isn't even the bassist on this cd he joined after st.anger not before watch the dvd...
    Smithsc
    I like this album no matter what anyone says. It has great riffs and its heavy. Sure its definitely not their best by any means but its still great to isten to.
    jiggy low-ballz
    I think this album is criticized harsher than it should be. "Some Kind of Monster", "St. Anger" and "Sweet Amber" are really good Metallica tunes. There are definitely no greats here but overall it is better that most give it credit for. If you can do better, have at 'er.
    templar08
    Nightstrider
    templar08 wrote: So, from what I can gather here, most of these reviewers don't like the album because it wasn't pro-toolsed to death. And can no-one hear that they were finally playing with a bit of ****ing PASSION? This was a vital step needed to get back on track. Btw, I reckon Cliff may not have liked the sound, but he would have applauded them for trying something new. Because I don't think he was as closed minded as some people here.
    I think you're mistaking their new exercise in pro-tooled backpeddling for their old material (which I can only assume you haven't heard). Listen to Hit the Lights and tell me what that fire in Hetfield's voice is if not pure passion. No, the difference is that back in the day they had talent and songwriting ability, and now they've lost both those things quite completely. Also, don't be a dick and bring Cliff into this. You are in no position to state a dead man's opinion for him, and to be fair, neither are any of the detractors who try and use him to support themselves. You obviously need to work on your "open-mindedness" though, since you don't seem able to appreciate the fact that just because some people won't gobble up every turd thrown to them, doesn't mean they can't be open-minded.
    dark_falco3000
    To all you people saying stuff like "There are only so many riffs that you can do in standard tuning" and "They've been writing songs for like 40 years, of course their lyrics aren't going to be as good" as excuses for why this album uses a different tuning and has really bad lyrics, Death Magnetic still had some kickass standard riffs, and the lyrics were a definite improvement from anything they made in the 90's up to the point where the album was released. These excuses are not valid. Yes, this album was raw and passionate. But it could've been raw and passionate with actual good songs and lyrics. Going for a raw sound isn't an excuse to make crap songs. This album thoroughly annoyed me... the snare, the lack of solos (which usually wouldn't be a big deal... but this is Metallica!), I don't really mind the production quality, but the lyrics were definitely lacking (in fact, the lyrics were what annoyed me most. "Fuck it all and no regrets, I hit the lights on these dark sets"... does that sound familiar to anyone? Damage Inc. maybe? Or, perhaps, Hit the Lights?). The only thing that I can think of that I enjoyed was Hetfield's passionate vocals. And yes, I agree with Nightstrider. Leave Cliff out of this. Nobody gets to decide what his opinion is. I know he can't tell us what his opinion is, but that doesn't mean that everyone else gets to decide for him.
    dark_falco3000
    oh and this has probably been said before, but I'm pretty sure that Bob Rock played bass on this album, not Trujillo. Possibly another reason this album sucks... Bob ****ing Rock. I'm glad they gave that ***** the boot. Metal up your ****ing ass.