St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
Metallica: St. Anger

The sound of St. Anger is very dark and de-tuned (to drop C). There's no solo's which I thought was interesting but annoying because Kirk is always impressive in that department. A lot of palm muting and open chord's (maybe the most they've ever had in one album). I'll give it a 7/10 because I know why they wanted the record to sound this way after watching the some kind of monster DVD. But the production quality just wasn't there.

The lyrics are actually fantastic in this album but I believe they're really overlooked. The band came together and everyone contributed to the song lyrics (even Lars..). It's quite a dark theme but some lines are just brilliant. "Maim this for me, heat the cold air and take the chill off of my life, and if I could I'd turn my eyes to look inside, to see what's coming" just good stuff right there. James' voice is what it is nowadays just accept it for what it is. He'll never sing again like he did in the 80's. (and the 90's somewhat).

I wouldn't compare St. Anger to any album or any artist, It's totally unique and has a storyline that goes with it (the some kind of monster DVD). My most impressive songs where The Unnamed Feeling, St. Anger, My World, Frantic, and All Within My Hands (but they're all quite good). I love the lyrics and the darkness to the album but I hate the sound production. I would definitely purchase it again if I lost it or if it got stolen.