St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
Metallica: St. Anger

This album was released in 2003. The sound isn't very great though, you can see that they are trying to capture more of a "raw" sound. However, The snare is very unappealing so that's a point off, and I think the distortion isn't heavy enough. However, this album is chock full of heavy riffs, shame they didn't have any solos since that is normal for metallica leaving fans disappointed.

James lyrics are always very well done, he has skill in writing good lyrics, they're gritty, In you face and angry. His singing skills are very good, he can't sing like in the 80s since he blew his vocal chords in the recording of the black album, however he has a lot of grit in his voice for a 40 year old singer. I love it when he screams his head off when he sings "fran-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-toc!"

I'm an old metallica fan, and people will complain and criticize this album a lot I can tell ya that. I hated this album the first time I heard it but I still gave it a chance and I think this is a superb album. The snare is very unappealing and no solos will cause a lot of fans complaining. Fans will also complain since this album is tuned down to drop C... I don't understand when people start calling this album nu-metal, that is utter bullshit, this album is what we call thrash metal, it's fast and in your face. My favourite 3 songs are: Some kind of monster, Frantic and St. Anger. Very well done metallica.

Lvt36
    guitarfreak222 wrote: guitarfreak222 wrote: erm i hate this album its ****ing CRAP god i cant believe people rated 10 for this album man it should of never of been released Wow I actually take all that crap I said back.. This album is incredible, I sat down and listened to it alot. This is a badass thrash metal album. This is ****ing thrash, thrash can be tuned down to drop c you idiots who are calling this nu-metal. This album is just Heavy riffs played over In-your-face lyrics, Yes I can agree that the snare is annoying but it grows on you. This album is gritty, in your face and agrssive. Good work metallica, Ignore all of this bullshit from people who can't accept a little change.
    couldnt have said it better myself mate.
    guitarfreak222
    Musician6797 wrote: hetfields voice has had it.. st anger was sad
    James screams his ass of in this album! I can't believe how people say his singing is bad or weak or he can't sing anymore! I haven't heard James scream like he does in this album. Like in frantic how he screams "FRANTIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TOC, Or in "my world", At the end he whispers "not only do I not know the answer" then he screams " I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THE QUESTION IS!" You *****s have to open your ears and give this album a good listen, before you write these so called " reviews / a teenager ranting on how crap this album is.
    Vitooch
    yeeea, for all you hating on this album can go suck it big.. this album is an awsome one. riffs are frigin heavy as hell. many of you are right about it being a crap metallica record, i agree they could have done alot better, but they chose not too. they chose to make it the way they did, not to mention all the other troubles they had if you watch some kinda monster. overall i think this album is great, i like all the songs alot. obviosly all who disagree and are mind set on how shit this album is arent tru metallica fans. lol at the people who think robby was playin bass for the recording of this album !
    dark_falco3000
    guitarfreak222
    dark_falco3000 wrote: is my review merely "a teenager ranting on how crap this album is"? Go look at it. I don't mean to be proud, but it's more than just hating on the album for stupid reasons. Anyway, screaming =/= talent as a vocalist. imo, I don't mind his voice... but if your only argument to how good his voice is "omg he can scream! lolwut!", it's a pretty damn weak argument. I've said it before and I'll say it again: People who hate this album are still true metallica fans. When a band changes their style a lot, people can stop liking that style while still liking the older style that they used to have. A lot of people don't like their ears to bleed whenever they put on an album from their favourite band, which is why a lot of metallica fans don't like this album. btw the lyrics suck. It doesn't matter whether you know what they were going through or not, they were incredibly weak. The lyrics you just posted, "wash your back so you won't stab mine", is quite possibly the best lyrics on the album, and it's not even that clever. Very under metallica's usual standard. Epic lyrics would be stuff like "For Whom the Bell Tolls". Check out those rhyming patterns in that song... it's epic. "Take a look to the sky just before you adie, it's the last time you will! Blackened roar, massive roar fills the crumbling sky, shattered goal fills his soul with a ruthless cry". That is what you call awesome lyrics.
    Nahh I'm not complaining about yours because your's isn't biased and you back up your reasons very well. I'm talking about like rattlehead666 types of reviews.
    mpezzullo
    XtractionProces
    It's interesting that most of the reviews that gave low scores only wrote about 5 lines (exaggeration). There's a few of them, but not many actually gave a structured argument. Give me a reason not to buy this album.
    Vitooch
    i totaly agree with u when u say that the lyrics and the album itself isnt the best of metallica, anyone would say that..and i agree, for whoms lyrics is in my opinion one of hetfields shining efforts in lyrics.but i do disagree that the lyrics suck. ther not that bad at all.. everyone writes lyrics based on there feelings n stuff, and at that time, they probably felt that those wer the best lyrics they could come up with.. even know ther not the best, you still gota give them a pat on the back for it, i dont even know why your hatin on them, id like to u see you try n become as big as metallica or any band, i dont think anyone should be talkin shit about any band and there lyrics n music if they cant do better.. if you can, then be my guest.
    MR.Shamanistica
    mpezzullo wrote: All I have to say is that, for a Metallica album, St. Anger is not very good. But as a Rock/Metal album, it is very good. If any other band was to put out this album, like a band that just came out or whatnot, this album would be praised. At least that's how I feel about it. It's definitely listenable, and pretty cool to have in the car.
    I would Have to agree with you there, But lets look at this as a metal album, not a metallica album, it has awesome sounding riffs, the drums are almost perfect, they compliment the vocals and guitar perfectly, James's voice isn't the best, not exactly The black album or master of puppets (my personal faves)and the lyrics do kinda suck, but hey, i would say go and buy this if u want a pretty good metal album, but if ur looking for heavy fast paced metallica don't bother too much with this album. overall I'd say it's pretty good, some bad points and some good points, 7/10
    PANTERAFAN^666^
    Iam a fan of metallica and to me the more people that critize St.Anger the more I like it. Yes St.Anger is the worst thing Metallica every made but i is also a different path for metallica which of course is heading down a bad road, but i have to say that i didn't hate every song on St.Anger, i actual listen to couple of the song off St.Anger in my Car because the sound from St.anger and my cars huge speakers make the St.Anger sound kick your a$$. I know that alot of people critize the St.Anger album i dont blame you, but it isn't like its so garbage that you have to critize it every time you hear a song off the album. To me Metallica will always be considered one of the best thrash metal bands of all time, along with Slayer, and of course Pantera.
    PANTERAFAN^666^
    I have to say something here. This critizing shit is getting old man, St anger was bad, but it wasn't horrible, to me, the more people hate St.Anger the more I like it. Yes Iam a Metallica fan I enjoy listen to Metallica I enjoy listening to St.Anger as will. Every one on this site critizes St.Anger because Every one wants to be like Eveyone, and its stupid one person says I hate St.Anger, and more people start saying it, its bullshit. I wont follow down that path because some songs on St.Anger kick A$$. But thats my thoughts, not everybody elses. I dont Agree with everyone else, but I do dislike with everyone else. thrash MMMMMEEEEETTTTAAAAALLLLL forever.
    pantallica95
    I FUCKING LOVE ST. ANGER!!! The Black Album is a 8, Load/Reload is a 9.5 and St. Anger is a 9. everything else is a 10. Great riffs, if a tad underproduced lol.
    Vitooch
    oh yea forgot to mention how awsome the lyrics were. lyrics were amazing "wash your back so you won't stab mine" its great