St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 1 Junky
Metallica: St. Anger

This album's sound is a cacophany of awful noise that sounds like a bunch of little kids jamming in Metallica's studio. Sure, I haven't heard any of the songs in their entirety, but I did watch "Some Kind of Monster," and I really don't want to. Whether it be the awful coffee-can clang of the drums, the crappy mess of the guitars or the whiny singing, this album fails on all counts. And the band's excuse for this tub of nuclear waste? "It's like a band that's first jamming together." That's Bull! I could probably form a band right now and it would sound better than this! Arrgh... It's bad enough how much they oversimplified and crappified themselves on Load and ReLoad, but this is the peak of their crappiness. (Sigh) Sad, hut True. Ha-ha!

To say the least, the lyrics on this album are crap that wouldn't be found on any of the good albums. "Tick-tock frantic, Tick-tock frantic," "Shoot me again, huh huh. Shoot me again huh huh," etc. What stupid and childish pap. It really doesn't help that James sounds like he is throwing a tantrum a la 3-year-old when he is singing this stuff either. Yet again, sad but true.

Unmitigated crap. Those are the two words that describe this album best. Everything about it sucks, and I don't understand how Anyone At All would mention it in the same breath as the first four or five albums for all the reasons I have mentioned in this review. It's just an annoying cacophany of crap 'n' pap from what we all know is a skilled group of musicians that will forever shame their name to some degree. Heck, in Death Magnetic (their latest album), there is still some residual crappiness, such as James's crappy tantrum voice on some of the songs. I haven't bought the album, but if I did, I would be elated if it were lost or stolen. Heck, if it were stolen, I would laugh at the idiot thief, as he either doesn't know what good metal is, or he is about to have the worst experience in his sad life. In the end, everything about this album is sad but true.

dawoodman619
    bass-man9712
    im not knocking St. Anger but it was my least favourite album, i dunno maybe it was the lyrics or that there was no solo's but not their best in my opinion
    shredheadted
    steevo92
    i can't understand all of you who say St.Anger is shit. Metallica never made music for the people, Show me a song from Metallica whats made for the fans, no their music is about four musicians and their feeling, lifestyle, problems. St. Anger the darkest part of Metallica and the whole album shows how did they lived in the past and the struggles in the band, for example losing bassist Jason Newsted... what do you expect from a Downey guy who suffer form depression and alcoholism at this time, from a soloist who had drugged half of his brain and from a drummmer who hating his band, mainly the band's frontman. (sorry for bad english)
    Marksman L27
    people who say st. anger is shit need to get a wooden spoon and eat my arse. Metallica to this day have never made a bad album i would even go as far as to say a bad song. i admit as would alot of people it is my least favourite album (load or justice being my fav) but its still a great album. if any other band made it it would be more well recieved by people but coz we expect so much from metallica that people criticise it. Metallica rule and you knoe it.
    Msu_Man04
    FRANTIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC- TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC- TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC- TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC Really, I've listened to a few songs, and while it's not vintage Metallica, it's still alright. I'd probably give the album around a 5 or 6. It's just different.
    wolfwood_9
    shredheadted : Most of these reviews didnt help me, either you liked it, or you didnt. Some kinda helped cause the people writing didnt sound totaly biased, I havent heard it yet and am debating weather to buy or not so...
    buy it!!!! i bought it when it came out. lost the cd and had to download it because i loved it so much. it is probably one of my favorite metallica albums for the simple fact that it is just raw and heavy. i've listened to every metallica song a few times. i love them all because they are different aspects of the same band. everyone loves led zeppelin but forgets that they were partly a country band. if you listened to all of their stuff. As for the "drums being annoying" ya theyre supposed to sound like that. the entire band didnt want a perfect sound. they took as few takes as possible and some of the being first takes.
    MotörHeadFan22
    guitarfreak222
    dawoodman619 wrote: if the steel snare didn't rip my eardrums inside out every time i listened to it it wouldn't be so bad. and no solos? i mean come on, why? they say that this album had a lot of influence from Alice in Chains, but I'll listen to ANY Alice in Chains over this. they should have atleast ditched the steel snare and would've ATLEAST been a 6 out of 10 to me... damn you Lars...
    I don't think he uses a steel snare, maybe wood but that wouldnt make the snare sound like this. They didnt screw up the snare or anything they just turned it off like how alot of bands do. I think its just the mixing thats bad and the snare sound louder. Listen to children of bodom, they have their snare turned off but they don't get flamed. It's just that the mixing is bad, the music however is brilliant.
    SGofawesome
    MotrHeadFan22 wrote: Definetly their worst record yet, BUT it's not even that bad, people usually just hate it cause its different, yes it is, b ut its not terrible, it was a step in the right direction for them, returning to double bass and fast tempos again! but now their back and thats all that matters.
    well said my friend, well said. This album is amazing! Frantic is the best, along with The Unnamed Feeling, St. Anger, and Dirty Window. Didn't get into some kind of monster very much...
    steevo92
    St. Anger is just pure and kick ass... awesome another great album from the bests