St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
Metallica: St. Anger

This album was my first real taste of Metallica and I loved the anger James put into the lyrics. I first heard "The Unnamed Feeling" and after that, I was hooked on Metallica. I know a lot of people hate the sound, but I love it, the drums fit well and I don't mind them at all.

The lyrics on the album can be hit and miss for me. Lyrics on "St. Anger", "Frantic", "The Unnamed Feeling", "Shoot Me Again", and "Sweet Amber" are amazing, while some like "Purify" are good songs, but lyrically they can be better, but he sings them so well I do not mind. Along with All within my hands, I don't find the ending particularly enjoyable when James screams "Kill a bunch". James always has had an amazing voice and it really shows on this album and this, along with "Load" and "ReLoad" are some of my favorite albums.

It holds its own. I would listen to this album over any of Pantera's records any day. The most impressive songs have to be "St. Anger" and "The Unnamed Feeling", both gold mines for symbolism and metaphors, and you are able to vent whatever anger you have out by listening to this album.

theatb4
    Well to start off, how was Metallica still "selling out" with such an anti-mainstream album as St. Anger? They never really did to begin with, unless you include the better production from Metallica to ReLoad, which came because of their popularity and the record company wanting to make tons of money off of them. They never sold out, it's Metallica for ****'s sake. St. Anger isn't their best album because that title still belongs to the album that is worshiped and known as Master of Puppets. I love Master, it's their best, and one of the most important metal albums ever. But it's not my favorite, that title belongs to St. Anger. Its emotion and anger are so real, you can feel it. You all will bitch about the snare drum but I loved it so much that I added an extra snare to my drum kit so I could turn the snares off like Lars did. I'll get shit for saying this but Load and St. Anger are my go-to Metallica albums. Yes I have heard and own every album and love them all. No I'm not just a dickrider; their music just speaks to me. I listen to their music for what it is. Not because I'm just a fan. I don't expect everything to be Master, Ride, or hell even a Black Album. I like that they vary their music. Metallica has a one-of-a-kind album in St. Anger. If you'd actually listen unbiasedly, pay attention to the lyrics, and listen for the little details of instrumentation, St. Anger is a gem. So what that there are no solos, Metallica did what they wanted. This album is their release from what they were feeling. This album is their personality and feelings; if you're a true fan, you could respect that. It's a trust between bands and fans, they are speaking about their personal lives and hardships. St. Anger will eventually be appreciated for what it is, it'll just take yall a long time to see this.
    FallenDestiny
    This is not as bad as people claim it to be... Just listen to it with an open mind. Also, it's Bob Rock playing bass here, not Robert Trujillo...
    jesse1994
    Honestly liked it better than any load era, and even death magnetic. Has a lot of energy and emotion.