The $5.98 E.P. - Garage Days Re-Revisited [EP] Review

Metallica: The $5.98 E.P. - Garage Days Re-Revisited [EP]
Release Date: Aug 20, 1987
Genres: Thrash Metal, Heavy Metal
Label: Elektra
As a showcase for some strong metal riffs and material by mostly underground bands, the EP works quite well.
 8.8
 7.6
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this album:
The $5.98 E.P. - Garage Days Re-Revisited [EP] Reviewed by: Rattlehead666, on november 09, 2005

Sound: This is Metallica's $5.98 EP. They put $5.98 on it beacause the people who owns music stores and stuff wouldn't rip the little kids or someting like that. This EP only has five tracks on it. They are Helpless (Diamond Head), The Small Hours (Holocaust), The Wait (Killing Joke), Crash Course In Brain Surgery (Budgie), Last Caress/Green Hell (The Misfits). I like the Metallica version of Helpless just as much as the Diamond Head version. The Small Hours is a bit better by Holocaust but I still realy like the Metallica version a lot, It's actually my favprite song on the EP. The Wait I like the Metallica version better. Crash Course In Brain Surgery I especially like the Metallica version better. Last Caress/Green Hell is great by Metallica but I never listened to the Misfits versions of those two songs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics to each song are great. The lyrics fits the music perfectly. James Hetfield is just as good of a singer as Sean Harris but I don't know the other vocalists in any of the other bands except for the Misfits. // 10

Overall Impression: I wouldn't really compare this EP to any other albums seeing that it's basically covers but I could compare it to Overkill's Coverkill which I don't like as much as Garage Days. The most impressive song on the album is The Small Hours and the intro to Crash Corse In Brain Surgery. I don't love anything albout this album. The thing I hate is in Last Caress/Green Hell at the end when they play the warp version of Iron Maiden's Run To The Hills. That really got me pissed off. If this were stolen or lost I would go get that person because that is my Garage Inc. album so I'm not paying another $40.00 for a complication. // 10

The $5.98 E.P. - Garage Days Re-Revisited [EP] Reviewed by: METSOAD, on april 19, 2006

Sound: This is basically Metallica covering all of those heroes who inspired them to be the Heavy Metal gods that they are today. They cover Diamond Head, Holocaust, Killing Joke, Budgie and The Misfits. Jason Newstead is the star of this EP, despite the competition from all other members, due to some stunning Bass solos and riffs he consumes all and rules the roost. // 10

Lyrics: James Hetfeild is the consumate singer, not technically the best but could produce some brilliantly aggressive voices that perfectly suits the songs. The lyrics are none of Metallica but they all seem to be brilliant and very Metallica-ish. // 10

Overall Impression: 01. Helpless - the Diamond Head cover is a hugley fast riffage spectacle with a stunning drum intro, enormous bass and guitar solos and awesome vocals by Mr Hetfeild. 02. Small Hours - this massivley heavy cover of the Holocaust song shows of every band members talents, but particularly Jason and Lars, the bass and drum combo is particularly impressive despite the lack of speed involved. 03. The Wait - the Killing Joke classic which once again is an all instrument barnstormer with lots of intresting solos for all. James and Lars are particularly impressive. 04. Crash Course In Brain Surgery - the mighty bass intro leads to a might barnstorming metal masterpeice. This is the song from Budgie, which is a rather unusual choice. 05. Last Caress/Green Hell - the Misfits cover is a medly of 2 of thier greatest songs. The slower and lyrically better Last Caress, then the fiery and insane and fast as a jet plane classic Green Hell. It is one incredible mix of speed and skill which has every single instrument working thier socks off. The album highlight. Overall, this is not a great master peice but it is basically the greatest collection of cover songs ever. Metallica are heavy metal gods but what people do not know is that they are also the best cover band around. // 10

Comments