The Videos: 1989-2004 [DVD] review by Metallica

• Released: Dec 5, 2006
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 10
Metallica: The Videos: 1989-2004 [DVD]

Metallica's latest offering to the world of metal comes in the form of DVD covering its videos from 1989 to 2004, and for the most part it is a fascinating look at the visuals that have accompanied the band's changing sound. Even though there isn't much in the way of bonus interviews or live footage, the running time of over 2 hours ensures that there is no shortage of material on the DVD.

What may be the biggest drawback for fans is that it does only focus on the band's music after 1989, which of course, was when the band also started to make a huge impression on MTV. So if you are one of the critics who dogged on the band for using producer Bob Rock or becoming too radio friendly, you may feel that the DVD just doesn't accurately represent the overall history. But to be fair, this is strictly a DVD dedicated to the music videos, and the creation of One was truly a memorable marker in the band's timeline.

Musically, songs like One, Enter Sandman, and The Unforgiven are still solid works that were enhanced tenfold with the accompanying videos. There are plenty of people who still prefer the days of Master Of Puppets, but unfortunately there aren't really any traditional videos to mark that era. Even still, Metallica churned out plenty of hook-driven, likeable tunes from the early '90s and part one of The Videos is a much-needed trip back in time.

If you're not a huge fan of the band's later music -- particularly the St. Anger album, which was met with disappointment from fans and critics alike -- you may feel the need to fast-forward through the ending portion. While the band still does a competent job at the 4 videos from St. Anger, they still do pale in comparison to the earlier videos. But because the music documentary Some Kind of Monster did already give a peek into the motives behind St. Anger, it's still interesting to see the results of that trying time during the band's career.

Content — 9
The DVD begins with the video for One, which is still one of the most haunting videos of all time. By combining the band jamming in a dimly lit practice space along with images from the 1971 movie Johnny Got His Gun, it's still hard to take your eyes of it. Along with One, pretty much all of the singles are covered in The Videos. If you're watching start to finish, it does seem that the earlier videos were visually a bit more creepy and intriguing. The chilling images of the boy-turned-old man in The Unforgiven to the odd cast of characters seen in Until It Sleeps are perfect examples of this early trend. When you're watching the late '80s to early '90s portion, it's easy to lose track of time because the videos (not to mention the music) are so well done.

The Videos also includes 2 Of One, the 1989 release that previously was only available on VHS. This section included an interview with drummer Lars Ulrich detailing the making of the video for One, as well as a Jammin' Version of the video. The 2 Of One portion is brief, but it is one of the biggest highlights on the DVD. Additionally, The Videos also features a Theatrical Version of The Unforgiven video and a trailer for the movie Some King Of Monster.

Production Quality — 10
The visual quality of most of the videos on the DVD is executed beautifully. With a variety of directors behind the videos, it gives the songs unique identities. Directors Michael Salomon and Bill Pope (One), Matt Mahurin (The Unforgiven), and Samuel Bayer (Until It Sleeps) make the biggest impression with their artistic approach to the videos, but even the rawer tracks that are done in more of a straightforward fashion are done well. While it's safe to say that everyone will have a preference for one film style over another, The Videos gives enough variety to satisfy most fans.

Regardless of what you might dislike about the changing Metallica sound, The Videos: 1989-2004 makes a worthwhile addition to your DVDs. With 21 videos and alternative versions of One and The Unforgiven, The Videos doesn't leave any holes in terms of the band's career post-1989.

Metallica has done a good job at consistently releasing videos, whether live concerts of the documentary Some Kind Of Monster, and the latest DVD continues that tradition. The Videos might not keep your attention during the later years if you were not a fan of St. Anger, but even if you skip through those, you'll still have almost 2 hours of watching ahead of you. So while you're awaiting Metallica's return to greatness, The Videos will make you once again appreciate just what the legendary band has offered in the past.

Check out the trailer for Metallica's "The Videos: 1989-2004" DVD:

YouTube preview picture

Sixpounder
    lol I love all the fukin rants! they happen everytime.....everytime..... I still want to see this!
    solidruler21
    krymson
    sheppo
    Metallica forever you don't sell over 90 million albums cause your average
    schizz
    anthony4326 wrote: i think trivium is better than metallica. (my opinion) metallicas version of master of puppets.....oh dear god. i would rather listen to hillbillys singing. trivium all the way. even though trivium say they want to be the next metallica. they are gonna go far beyond them. watcha!
    Oh my god...just...just shut up...
    Dimebag Dave
    bassmonkey16 wrote: metman1 wrote: I think people should jus lay off em i meen i like there older stuff better myself but u cant blame a band for wanting to progress n play a different style of music there still arounf so it cud not have bin that much o a mistake so jus lay off em couldnt have said it better myself! actually, yes, i could have said it better, your grammar and spelling sucks balls. but i highly agree with your point. i hate it when people will trash metallica, or any other band for the matter, for selling out. sure, some bands truly sell out. but whenever a good band, like metallica, changes any one thing about their music, one person will cry "SELLOUT!" and others will follow.
    The fact Metallica changed the music almost entirely for money is what makes them sell out. Bob Rock is mostly to blame for telling them what to do, in order to make more money. They shifted from Thrash - to semi alternative acoustic metal. "One" is the most overrated Metallica song, as well as the most overrated guitar solo. People that usually say it's a crazy solo is because they either suck at guitar, or have never heard any of Metallica's earlier work. Listen to the "Kill 'em All" album - and don't tell me that "One" is still a good guitar solo. Metallica died when Cliff died. And in my honest opinion, Trivium licks nads, and will never achieve anything near what Old Metallica has.
    Dowza
    Hahahahahahahaha. NO.
    The_Man_IV
    Can't wait to Pick This Up metallica is my Fav band of all time Thell be Rockin Hard For Some Years to Come. Metallica had there glory days And that was that, there won't be another MOP or another Justice Whats Made is made and thats that, the Band is great there been a few lows with what they have been making there choice's on but alot of high's! And there fans will "hopefully" stick by them for what ever might happen. Metallica Rockin hard !!!
    xSepulturax
    Metallica hardly make the thrash cut if at all, although i do like them. Trivium suck, they're only going to make it in the hardcore crowd, which all sucks anyway. On topic: Im not that exited to see metallica release all of their videos.
    Spartan 117
    krymson wrote: Dimabag Dave, the guitar soloes in Kill 'em All are pretty good, but they also involves alot of wanking. And now for the sell out claim... Seling out is changing the sound of your music so you can make ****ing money. You beleive they sold out on Black/Load,right? Look at it this way, they just finished justice album and had been playing these insanely complex songs for like a year or two. They could barely believe that they pulled it off. They decided they wanted to make simpilar music, that still ****ing rocked but was easier on them, which is why we have, Black Album. Ads far as th Loads go, NWOBHM bands are only a few of the bands metallica were ingfluenced by. Other include less hard rock bands like Thin Lizzy such. Also James and the crew also happened to love southern rock bands, like Lynyrd Skynyrd and country music in general. Also has always loved blues and still takes blues lessons to this day. They then took elements from the genres that they loved, country, soft southern rock, blues and fused them with metal, that like black album wasn't insanely complex. They were still playing music that they loved just not the way it use to be. Anyone would get tired of making/playing 210BPM tempoes after 10 years.
    you have made a good point. everyone who hates metallica for the black album on, stfu
    Hammett5
    Maiden2 wrote: guys. metallica is Thrash metal. THRASH. not heavy. the greatest meavy metal band is iron maiden. who by the way, still makes great albums.
    Maiden is ok.. I hate their singers voice.. It just .. doesn't fit.. at all ..... And your right Metallica is a thrash band.. Of course the greatest thrash band but, its ok
    beau05
    DavepallekA wrote: Just because a metal band is on TV doesnt mean they're a bunch of pussies...Slayer had videos, so did Pantera, Iron Maiden, ect. That and alot of great Metal bands out today show their stuff on Headbangers ball (and that's pretty much the only good thing MTV has to offer anymore). This whole "Metallica are a bunch of sellouts" thing is getting way old. I'm not trying to sound like a fan boy or something, but I don't see why all you guys have so much shit against them. sure I can agree, they're old stuff is favorite too, but I personally love all their other stuff as well, maybe not as much but not because it's any worse or better, it's just different than thrash. They started playing a different style of music, wupty f*ck. And that seems to be why everyone bashes them now... that just shows you have no respect for any other type of music. Anyway... This DVD looks great. I'll definently be getting it when ever I can.
    iron maiden even played on top of the pops like others have said, id rathter wait for the new album
    deadlyMETAL
    This DVD looks so great, although I've seen Turn The Page and The Unforgiven and was significantly not impressed.
    Jimmypage100
    Great, Videos! Cool this should be fun! my god though every time metallica are in any sort of forum everyone goes crazy. i seen them live and the crazyness is justified! 90 million sold with a new album coning iut next year Lets bring it up to 100.
    not_dead_enough
    This review was written to attempt to appear neutral and unbiased but clearly is not. The author (UG team) should remember that all the material 90's onwards is just as much a part of the band and its history, sound and style. I love the DVD, the remixed audio sounds great (PLZ Metallica remix all your old albums like Megadeth did!) and King Nothing is one of my favourite Metallica songs (I am a Metallica fan who likes all albums and eras EQUALLY).
    lars once said,he dont want to make any videos and dont want to be on mtv...that was in 80's.....hmmmmm.....
    With what this band has done for metal (and music as a whole) they have earned the right to do whatever they like (including be hyporcrites). This only sets the stage for the new album. I can't wait.
    joshua029
    that is the craziest thing i've ever heard. i love trivium myself but metallica is far greater than trivium will ever become...
    Loser Name
    Sanitarium91 wrote: so this things got stuff from "...and justice for all" to "St. Anger"?
    Seeing as how "One" was their first video and it was from 'Justice' and 'Anger' was their last album and they had videos from that one, I'd say that's a brilliant deduction, Sherlock.
    steady666
    All that Metallica ever did was rip off Dave Mustaine and Metal Church. Sure Cliff Burton had talent but hes long dead just like is Metallica to me.
    someguy1
    Irish Bassist wrote: Snakexe wrote: Metallica have been rubbish since MTV started playing their videos.. the video for One is tastefully done and very good, but you could say that it brought about their demise as a serious metal band and started the progession into the MTV-rock *****s they are today. that makes no sense how does being on mtv make metallica a rubbish band? love the until it sleeps video,it is one of my fave videos.was a big fan of st.anger (apart from one or two songs,purify for example)cant wait to hear the new album + tour!
    very well put st anger is a ****in good album and its not tv videos that spell the demise of a band the videos only made them more accesible to the world metallica have changed over the years but one thing has stayed the same the fact that all of there music is fukin sick from 1981 to the present metal up ur ass
    Quantonyne
    solidruler21 wrote: I will always love Metallica because they were the first band that got me into metal and all things metal. While I agree with most that Metallica's first three albums were pretty much the best albums they made, I still have to give credit where credit is due. Metallica did a good job on "...And Justice For All" and the black album and the albums afterwards. True, they were not thrash metal at all, more like hard rock/heavy metal. But still, they had catchy songs that were radio friendly and a wide audience could enjoy. And yes, Iron Maiden is the best heavy metal band of all time. And Bruce Dickinson has the best voice of any metal band...ever. And I stick to my opinion. Also, while many seem to hate and bash on Trivium, Trivium in itself is a good metal band. Granted, they sound a lot like Metallica, but that's only cause Metallica is the influence behind the music. You can't say Matt Heafy and Corey Beaulieu are shittier soloist then Kirk, even Kirk can't say that! I see Trivium as bringing back and perfecting the thrash metal scene. If you want to hate on me just because I like Trivium, hey go ahead. But I'm a musician and I have to give these guys credit as well because they have great talent. Lamb of God rules also. And DragonForce is just the sh*t.
    Hell ya dude, granted i really don't like anything past load, i still respect the fact that they want to change their music. Which after 10 years of thrash how many differnt songs could you write without them starting to sound the same. Bruce Dickinson is an amazing vocalist without Iron Maiden i don't know what metal would be like. Trivium is meh. Lamb of God kick ass. Dragonforce = Wank = Awesome
    FunKRawK
    Metallica are great=) though i'd have to say that in my opinion there's nothing particularly great or groundbreaking about the video for one, its rather boring to me, though an excelent medium to spread a great song to the masses
    Neverfind_Hemz
    METALLICA ROCK HARD !!!!!love em' ALL U PPLS OUT THERE WHO LOVE METALLICA CHEERS GUYS U ALSO ROCK
    guitar_addict06
    well i created this account for just to say this and other things but metallica is one of the greatest influencial bands and probably the top in its genres and like someone said they do what ever the **** they wanna do cause thats there style and that doesn't consider them a sell i mean sh** if everyone liked and them and thought they were god that would be selling out i ike all they albums it shows metal and other stuff has a certain bond with each other and the trivium issue now what they did is what exactly what do what i would do cause i wwould take my inspiration heres my anology- took the sculpture of clay (metallica's song) and smashed and redid them and make into a differ shape 4 out of 10 would agree that metallica got them into guitarist but anyway thats just my opinion so trivium just honors metallica and so did i so if you hate meh cause i like metallica or trivium then you can go shove it ty \,,/ metallica\,,/
    smithfor ak0
    My favorite video is one. James is a Rythm guitar GOD, along with jon schaffer from iced earth, They got me into guitar! Long live metallica and iced earth!
    someguy1
    sheppo wrote: Metallica forever you don't sell over 90 million albums cause your average
    **** yeah ur dead rite metallica ****ing rule
    anthony4326
    scottishmob
    Videos are not the mark of a sellout band. Slayer, Pantera, Maiden, Anthrax, Sabbath, and Megadeth had videos. And hell, at least Metallica's videos were good! (Hangar 18, Sweating Bullets, hahaha)
    joncan17
    Elvish_Ranger06
    Thought there was only 3? Cliff Burton, James Newstead and now Rob Trujilo...how many vids was Cliff in?
    mantyce
    joncan17 wrote: I wish they had put one or two cheeky wee live videos that cliff was in, then it would have shown all of mets bass players RIP Cliff Burton
    Actually, Ron McGovney was Metallica's first bassist.
    Elvish_Ranger06
    I'm glad to see that Metallica has come along so well since the first in '81. I would also like to say that Cliff Burton would've been proud of who they are today. On that note, Trujilo does a fantastic job. Thier later stuff (St. Anger and the like) is catchy, but like any other band, their roots are are in the 80's...and that's where they remain. Keep rockin' Metallica...I support what you do as a fellow musician.
    Snakexe
    no mercy
    I wasn't so much I thought to two most unique videos are definietly "One" and "Until It Sleeps". "One" is utterly chilling, and "Until It Sleeps" is very creepy in its own way; the video seems to have to do with demons, Christianity, and the such.