The Videos: 1989-2004 [DVD] review by Metallica

• Content: 5
  • Production Quality: 9
  • Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Metallica: The Videos: 1989-2004 [DVD]

This DVD is failry "basic" in its genetic makeup. It is simply what the title implies all the videos from 1989 to 2004. This is an obvious collectors item for any Metallica fan and for anyone who is into metal in general. The quality is perfect with great surround sound options, however there are very few suprises in store for the die hard fan.

Content — 5
The content has its limits, everybody knows the standard songs on this DVD and the special features are a let down, with only a theatrical trailer, a very boring version of "The Unforgiven", a enjoyable interview with Larz and an exiticting version of "One". The songs include all the classics from "I Disapear" to "Whisky In A Jar" and even "Enter Sandman", however I was saddened to see no "Master of Puppets" and was not enlightened by the fact that "Some Kind Of Monster" (a song I do not really enjoy) was included on the DVD.

Production Quality — 9
The DVD is produced rather well, it's simple and easy to use. The individual videos are all unique and I enjoy most of them especially the more unusual ones such as "Until It Sleeps" which really makes you ask yourself questions that you wouldn't before. I think that overall it was produced to the top standards of today and even the Queen could feel proud of owning a copy.

Overall it is a good DVD for any Metallica to go out and buy right away. However it does not compare to the great standards of other DVDs such as "Live From The Eye Of The Storm" - Ill Nino which looks like a huge feat in film engineering compared to it. The only real impressive features of the DVD are the classic video's even though some of these seem to be a let down. The special features are worthless they misaswell not be there. I love the surround sound along with some of the great old time video's such as "One" but I hate the fact that there is nothing new about this DVD. I think I probably would buy another one if it were stolen just because it's a piece of history within itself, the first complete collection of Metallica's work.

k_dog
    Is funny how the second review says that they were dissapointed to not see Puppets on the DVD but to my knowledge, there was never a video made. And besides, even if there was one, it would have NOT been between 1989-2004, stupid ass. On Topic: Good Stuff. Awesome quality but lacks content beyond the Actual videos.
    TheImpactPoint
    steady666 wrote: All that Metallica ever did was rip off Dave Mustaine and Metal Church. Sure Cliff Burton had talent but hes long dead just like is Metallica to me.
    I think its the other way around, after dave left metallica all he ever did was rip them off. Just listen to some Megadeth albums and you will realize just how much they sound like metallica!
    not_dead_enough
    Any similarities between Metallica and Megadeth are either in the Metallica riffs that Mustaine wrote or simply the fact they are both thrash metal bands (BOTH of which had a 'sound' at least partly created by Dave Mustaine).
    Sanitarium91
    now I havent heard lot of megadeth ("Rust in Peace" and "The System has Failed"), but I believe thats enough to say that Megadeth and Metallica don't have much in common. P.S. Megadeth lyrics SUCK!!!! Mustaine cant sing. Then look at "Master of Puppets", that album had maybe the best lyrics I've ever heard.