The Videos: 1989-2004 [DVD] Review

artist: Metallica date: 12/05/2006 category: compact discs
Metallica: The Videos: 1989-2004 [DVD]
Release Date: Dec 5, 2006
While you're awaiting Metallica's return to greatness, "The Videos" will make you once again appreciate just what the legendary band has offered in the past.
 Content: 7.7
 Production Quality: 8.5
 8.4
 8.3
 8.4
The Videos: 1989-2004 [DVD] Featured review by: UG Team, on december 05, 2006

Sound: Metallica's latest offering to the world of metal comes in the form of DVD covering its videos from 1989 to 2004, and for the most part it is a fascinating look at the visuals that have accompanied the band's changing sound. Even though there isn't much in the way of bonus interviews or live footage, the running time of over 2 hours ensures that there is no shortage of material on the DVD.

What may be the biggest drawback for fans is that it does only focus on the band's music after 1989, which of course, was when the band also started to make a huge impression on MTV. So if you are one of the critics who dogged on the band for using producer Bob Rock or becoming too radio friendly, you may feel that the DVD just doesn't accurately represent the overall history. But to be fair, this is strictly a DVD dedicated to the music videos, and the creation of One was truly a memorable marker in the band's timeline.

Musically, songs like One, Enter Sandman, and The Unforgiven are still solid works that were enhanced tenfold with the accompanying videos. There are plenty of people who still prefer the days of Master Of Puppets, but unfortunately there aren't really any traditional videos to mark that era. Even still, Metallica churned out plenty of hook-driven, likeable tunes from the early '90s and part one of The Videos is a much-needed trip back in time.

If you're not a huge fan of the band's later music -- particularly the St. Anger album, which was met with disappointment from fans and critics alike -- you may feel the need to fast-forward through the ending portion. While the band still does a competent job at the 4 videos from St. Anger, they still do pale in comparison to the earlier videos. But because the music documentary Some Kind of Monster did already give a peek into the motives behind St. Anger, it's still interesting to see the results of that trying time during the band's career. // 9

Overall Impression: Regardless of what you might dislike about the changing Metallica sound, The Videos: 1989-2004 makes a worthwhile addition to your DVDs. With 21 videos and alternative versions of One and The Unforgiven, The Videos doesn't leave any holes in terms of the band's career post-1989.

Metallica has done a good job at consistently releasing videos, whether live concerts of the documentary Some Kind Of Monster, and the latest DVD continues that tradition. The Videos might not keep your attention during the later years if you were not a fan of St. Anger, but even if you skip through those, you'll still have almost 2 hours of watching ahead of you. So while you're awaiting Metallica's return to greatness, The Videos will make you once again appreciate just what the legendary band has offered in the past.

Check out the trailer for Metallica's "The Videos: 1989-2004" DVD:

// 9

The Videos: 1989-2004 [DVD] Reviewed by: Uber-rocker, on march 30, 2007

Sound: Metallica have been one of the most influential groups in recent history, and Metallica: The Videos: 1989-2004 chronicles their journey in to the ass-kicking metal band that we know today. From the heavy thrash of 'One', to the introspective hard rock of 'Until It Sleeps' and the ferocity of 'St. Anger', the fifteen-year span that this DVD entails certainly gives you the impression that Metallica can, and will, do anything. There's no particular story attached to the creation of the DVD, all it simply is is a collection of every music video that the Metallica boys have made. While watching this DVD, you can see just how much Metallica have innovated and redefined what metal is to so many people that listen to it. For everyone that thought Metallica had gone soft recently, this is an enlightening refresher to prove exactly the opposite. // 9

Overall Impression: This is basically a 'Best Of Metallica' DVD, and if a greatest hits package were to be released in the future (which I'm sure there inevitably will be), I'd expect the track list to look a lot like the play list on this DVD. For anyone that hasn't known about Metallica for very long, and are just getting in to their music, this is a good place to start, and for about (AUD)$30.00, it's not all that expensive either. If it were stolen, then yes, I would replace it, because it sounds so good being pumped through my surround sound system! Not only that, but it's just a quintessential collection of Metallica music, and in my opinion is well worth having. Great stuff. // 9

The Videos: 1989-2004 [DVD] Reviewed by: jmorris3, on december 23, 2006

Sound: This DVD is failry "basic" in its genetic makeup. It is simply what the title implies all the videos from 1989 to 2004. This is an obvious collectors item for any Metallica fan and for anyone who is into metal in general. The quality is perfect with great surround sound options, however there are very few suprises in store for the die hard fan. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall it is a good DVD for any Metallica to go out and buy right away. However it does not compare to the great standards of other DVDs such as "Live From The Eye Of The Storm" - Ill Nino which looks like a huge feat in film engineering compared to it. The only real impressive features of the DVD are the classic video's even though some of these seem to be a let down. The special features are worthless they misaswell not be there. I love the surround sound along with some of the great old time video's such as "One" but I hate the fact that there is nothing new about this DVD. I think I probably would buy another one if it were stolen just because it's a piece of history within itself, the first complete collection of Metallica's work. // 6

The Videos: 1989-2004 [DVD] Reviewed by: Sintera666, on february 20, 2007

Sound: As a Metallica fan, I went out and bought the DVD, brought it back home and watched 2 hours of Metal! To tell you the truth, I wasn't expecting too much from this DVD, but I was wrong. It's not a world class DVD, but it is great! I don't know if they used something to enhance the sound (I think they did), but it sounds crystal clear! I was expecting through "one" for there to be a little of that '80s fashioned sound but, like I said. // 10

Overall Impression: I do really like this DVD, I am a big Metallica fan and this lets me have all their videos at the push of a button. I especially like "I Disappear" because it looks like I'm watching a movie instead of a video. The only thing I don't like is the old version of "one". It is very '80s quality. But other than that, this is a very good DVD. // 8

The Videos: 1989-2004 [DVD] Reviewed by: aenimafist, on may 04, 2007

Sound: It's Metallica. It's going to sound good anyway you view or listen to it. Metallica productions have always had that great sound crisp and clear to perfectly match what is being viewed. It is just the video collection so there really is no throughout plot like there was in SKOM but it still possessess that little jolt and the order of the songs makes it have a very good contrast. It's all studio recordings put behind images so it is not another version but it is all in sync as far as I can tell. // 9

Overall Impression: I really wish they would have made videos for song off of Master Of Puppets but other than that I really think the videos are true works of art and many of them I had never seen before. It is a must-have for any hardcore Metallica fan and an essential for any metal head. For me this is a 4 and 1/2 star production and this would be a good gift and for some reason I thought about it, but if someone were selling it, it would produce a good demo to watch. // 10

The Videos: 1989-2004 [DVD] Reviewed by: Ali-b912, on january 28, 2008

Sound: This is a metallica DVD. Therefore it's metal. Since the DVD is based after "And Justice For All" it has more songs from the period of time when metallica have been I'm many peoples thoughts declinining as a heavy metal band. There is little musical innovations except for (in my opinion) the songs on st anger which (again in my opinion) were an amazing low in metallicas career. It's better then most crap I hear on the radio but I don't much like it. // 7

Overall Impression: I personally dislike best of albums as they only show the singles. Some singles often suck. This was good though because I didn't have a large collection of Metallica stuff and I learned about a lot of cooler songs that came after master of puppets (which I also own along with ride the lightning) I personally love the jammin video for One because I can hear the song and see they guys play. I hate the amassed amount of st anger clips and the fact that it starts at 89, but I don't belive they did any videos before one. If it were stolen or lost I wouldn't buy it again because I can't be bothered getting 30 bucks or so to get another one. Plus I loaded it onto my windows media center so I have it there too. // 8

Comments