Old World Underground, Where Are You Now? Review

artist: Metric date: 02/27/2006 category: compact discs
Metric: Old World Underground, Where Are You Now?
Released: Sep 2, 2003
Genre: Rock
Styles: Indie Rock, College Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock
There's something for everyone here, just a really enjoyable cd from start to finish. This band has real talent in a time where talented musicians are scarce.
 9.5
 9.7
 9.3
Old World Underground, Where Are You Now? Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 20, 2005

Sound: I love the edgey alt rock feel of this record. It's a new type of music that I've never heard before and it's awesome. "Their measures are decidedly cubist: eternal, multi-layered portraits of instantaneous moments, the luminous blur of street life rendered as a freeze-tableaux, daily rituals portrayed in a fantastical light. This is music born out of sly, considered observation instead of gratuitous introspection ? which makes it refreshingly anomalous in an era when so much popular music fudges the line between self-absorption and self-parody." A bit on the style of Metric taken from their website. // 10

Lyrics: I love the lyrics, they are original and they are past the typical teenage angst stages where all the songs are about are boyfirends/girlfriends and suicide. It is amazing to listen to. However, to tell the truth one or two of the ten songs aren't quite up to par with the rest the others. But it worth it! The rest of the songs are amazing and like nothing else. I love "Combat Baby", "IOU", "Wet Blanket", "Dead Disco", and "The List" with lyrics like, "All dressed down to catch a whiff of the buzz," how could you resist them? Emily Hanes voice is amazing on the CD and apparently great live, too. But I think that they need to move their lives preformances to bigger places than the local club so I can get a ticket before they are sold out! // 8

Overall Impression: This album is amazing! I can't compare them to any other band that I know of. It's also great if you like the small bands that aren't geting regular air time on MTV or Much Music. Everyone that I get to listen to one song from Metric fall in love with them immediatly. For some demos of their songs check out www.ilovemetric.com. You won't be disappointed! // 10

Old World Underground, Where Are You Now? Reviewed by: shkrmkr, on february 27, 2006

Sound: "Old World Underground, Where Are You Now?" Opening line, perfect name for the album. And it reflects what this album is about: non-conventional rock/synth danceable music with clever lyrics. Was this kind of music lost? Well, thanks to Metric, it is not anymore. Either you like the synthesizer or not, it is the essencial reason why this album is so great, it replaces the lead guitar in many songs taking you and the songs to a new dimension. Of course, the rest of the band did a great job too. After listening the album, you'll feel like you're in a parallel universe. Emily Haines has an amazing voice. It just changes depending on the song, her voice turns from "childish" to sweet, and let's say, from "muttering" to energic. Another plus for Metric, they'll make you dance whether you're dancer or not, well at least it will make you jump around if you are a bit stubborn. This is just a fun album, one of those that you'll love immediately. // 10

Lyrics: Let's be serious and accept that when we think about a Female singer, love/sad songs come to our minds. Well, most of the time. Even though Metric has a female singer, the lyrics are mostly about political thoughts, the war, doubts and assumptions, how we are all becoming the same, alienation, and yeah, love and sadness after-relationship. I think the lyrics are meaningful without saying much. Not many words are required to make yourself clear if you choose the right ones. // 10

Overall Impression: It's just catchy music made in a unique style. And, it is their Debut album. Metric confirms that Canadian bands may be kind of "unknown," but when you discover them, they really go beyond your expectations. If you liked Metric, you'll definitely like Broken Social Scene, the other band that Emily Haines and James Shaw are part of. // 10

Comments