And The Glass Handed Kites review by Mew

• Released: Oct 18, 2005
Mew: And The Glass Handed Kites

Beacause of the band being Scandinavian, their overall sound is dark, mystic and melancholic. Typical for a band from these origins. Mew is a band whom have succeded in mixing dark, guitar-driven rock with beautiful melancholic sounds and harmonics. The guitars proves on track after track that there's nothing wrong with heavy riffs, without distortion. On several of the tempo-tracks, the riffs are heavy, but with a clean sound that really makes it for me. It shows that you don't really have to blow the listners brains out to make a good rock album. As on their last album, "Frengers", the drums are again a big part of their sound and dominates most of the tracks, which sadly is something you don't hear very often these days. And on top of this the basswork is incredible. The opening track, Circuitry Of The Wolf, is a brilliant mix of all the instruments: Guitars, bass, drums and piano. And the vocal piece where the band functions like a choir, really adds to the emotional aspect. Beautiful!

The lyrics is quite often wierd and doesn't really makes much sense when you first hear the songs, and to be fair, you really have to be a hard-core Mew fan to figure out what it's all about. But in the end, the lyrics are powerful and the way he sings it is quite unique and has almost an angelic touch.

Mew is a fairly unique band and it does not compare to any other bands, I've ever heard. What I love about this record is the diversity between rock, ballads and prog rock. Perfection! I've already bought two copies of the album so I think I should be quite safe.