Brother, Sister review by mewithoutYou

• Released: Sep 26, 2006
mewithoutYou: Brother, Sister

This band is probably one of the hardest to define in terms of style, sound, or influence. Taking cues from heavy bands, and at the same time making a deep, meaningful album that goes from soft, to loud, to slow, to hard, while always being truthful to themselves and being as original as possible. Keeping it on a dark note but always putting forth their best effort, mewithoutYou is a band you'll either love or hate, and it all comes down to a few key things. First, forget about traditional singing, and second, prepare to hear some of the best lyrics that have ever come out of our generation. Third, if you've heard mewithoutYou, this album is dark, but not like the rest. The band has cleaned up their sound and have filtered out the fuzz for a richer, crisper sound. Don't worry though, when they come hard, they still come hard.

The best part of mewithoutYou is definitely the lyrics. Weiss, the lead man, really outdoes himself on every album, and this one is no exception. Symbolism, imagery, all the crap you hated in English class is represented on this album (and it's no wonder why, Weiss being an English Major himself). Probably some of the best lyrics would be the lead track "Messes of Men" (in my opinion of course) and the remastered Nice and Blue (aptly named "Nice and Blue Pt. 2). The band's lyrics are amazing in every aspect of the word, and if you don't hear them, you're missing out on some of the best in the business

My friend got me into this band. I thought I would hate them from hearing a clip of them. But I was dead wrong; this band delivers where thousands of others have fallen, keeping the meaning without being overdramatic and putting energy where it's needed and holding back at the appropriate moments. The band really outdid themselves with this masterpiece. I look forward to the next amazing album by the band.

beenalynn
    irotinmyskin
    theyre amazing, it took me just less than a day to become hooked on their music. its amazing. and so unique. c-minor rules!
    mypettreejimmy
    they are what this industry needs in terms of variety...every band labels themselves as "experimental" without any knowledge of the word--but mewithoutyou defines, redefines, and highlights the word. everything about them is epic.
    speedmetal777
    how dare any of you so futiley attempt to label or even classify this band. they are indeed pioneers of their own unique sound. no doubt, aaron's voice and nearly hardcore yells are somewhat an aquired taste, but none can/should argue the absolute genius in his lyricism.
    tommytomtomtom
    beenalynn wrote: if i was to be deserted on an island for the rest of my life with only i cd i would choose this one.