Michael Grimm review by Michael Grimm

• Released: May 17, 2011
Michael Grimm: Michael Grimm

After winning season five of America's Got Talent last fall, Michael Grimm went into the studio and recorded his first major label album, which was released earlier this year. He has several other albums he self-released in the past, and I'm sure with his new label, he'll eventually re-release them. However, I'm here to review his new self-titled release. If you heard Michael Grimm on AGT, you quickly figured out that he is a blues singer. And that's exactly what you get on this album. It's not ground-breaking, and the majority of the songs are covers of other artists, but there's some real gems on here. First, we get "Gasoline & Matches", a fiery duet with Ann Wilson of Heart. The song benefits from a slinky guitar riff and an almost mid-paced shuffle sort of rhythmn. Other highlights include his first song, a stunning cover of Alicia Key's hit song "Fallin", and an interesting cover of Lynyrd Skynyrd's classic "Simple Man", where he is assisted by country star Travis Tritt.

Since the majority of these songs are covers, I'll devote more time to Michael Grimm's voice than the lyrics. That said, the songs he did write, such as "Something I Said", and "Suddenly You Are" (probably my favorite song on the album) are pretty good lyrically. However, it is Grimm's voice that steals the show on this record. He sounds like he should've been in the 70's. His voice is VERY soulfull and bluesy, and one of the most unique voices in music today. His voice is simply BEAUTIFUL, and will will you over quickly. This section gets a 9 based on his voice.

First off, working with Rolling Stones producer Don Was on this album was a very smart move. It really sounds like Was helped Grimm out a lot on here, even though Grimm didn't need much help. The album is a blues/southern rock album, and it isn't the usual pop album you get from TV show winners. Really, the only person I can compare Michael Grimm to is Bo Bice. However, Grimm is WAY better. This isn't the standard rock fare you see on UG, but if you have an open mind, this album will blow you away!