Deisel And Dust review by Midnight Oil

• Released: Jan 1, 1987
Midnight Oil: Deisel And Dust

This album sounds like proud Australian. Well, I am not Australian, but while listening to it, I feel great respect to them, because the attitude throughout the album kicks ass. One of the things I like best about this album is the sound of drums. Their heavy sounds accompanied by bass often playing low 8th notes. Sounds primitive, doesn't it? But in music the primitive most often turns out to be everything needed to achieve great sound. These low riffs and heavy drums are essential part of the bands overall sound and this album is a perfect highlight. Use of harmonica and Australian native instruments also contribute a lot to the overall sound atmosphere. That is what makes it so different from most of the stuff I usually listen to. Another interesting aspect of sound in Diesel And Dust is that there are several songs which sound almost like unplugged versions. Lots of acoustic guitars, not too much electronics or keyboards.

Speaking about the message and lyrics, I think that many modern artists should learn from Peter Garrett and the work he contributed on Diesel And Dust. I bought the album because I heard their song "The Dead Heart" on the radio and it got me completely. The line "We don't serve your country, don't serve your king..." and the straight marching car-engine sounding bass in the background always make me feel like there were ants running down my back when I hear it. If you want to hear an album with great sound and heavy lyrics, you should get Diesel And Dust. I don't want to tell anything more about it because it might change your view on the music when you start listening to it.

I'm a U2 and Pink Floyd Fan. I consider their albums as a certain measure of quality. Since I listened to Diesel And Dust, I count this album in my favourite category which means that I put them next to these bands. Of course, I don't compare them in ways of "which one is greater, which band has better guitarist" but I rate the sound, the atmosphere, the feeling put inside the album. An album is a peace of art. Rock music is a very emotional music no matter what genre it is. The best albums have all of this. The music fits together with lyrics, vocals fit together with instruments, there is a certain balance and after listening to it you feel fresh and charged with energy. Midnight Oil is somehow underrated, unfortunately. By the way, as a guitar freak, I've been paying much attention to guitar parts in U2 and Pink Floyd albums. I always liked Edge's unique minimalist riffs and use of effects, David Gilmour's solos and bends, but listening to Diesel And Dust was the first time when I didn't wait for a guitar solo or a technical wonder. The guitars are good, the overdubs are interesting but there are no solos because it doesn't need any. It's about the music, the message and overall sound. If you like really good music and you understand it, Diesel And Dust is a must-hear. Let me know how you liked it if this review encouraged you to listen to it.

PhillipTownsend
    Great comment by morello man! Guitarist's Martin Rotsey & Jim Moginie are freakishly talented musicians / guitarists - for those unfamiliar with other great 'oil's albums (tracks with killer guitar riffs in brackets) try: 10-1 (read about it) Red Sails... (Best of both worlds) Place without a p/card (Written in the heart) Two of my favourite Australian guitarists...