Kingwood review by Millencolin

• Released: Apr 12, 2005
Millencolin: Kingwood

Oh man, this is it! The new, 7th album of the swedish punk rock band Millencolin is just the apogee of modern punk! First of all, when you look at the front cover of the CD, you just think oh man what is this? A guy with the horns of a deer and a band of hunters behind him? Well no panic, you've just met the real millencolin: humor, melody, smashin' guitars and thundering drums! The sound is indeed incredible: the two guitarists, who are becoming real amazing musicians have done an incredible work, there's no doubt about it! Larzon, the crazy drummer of the band, is also doin' his best. The only problem is the bass, which you don't hear enough.

In their previous CDs, Millencolin used to write really funny lyrics, stupid, but funny, and this is just what made them so cool. On this CD, it seems that they decided to change a little bit of style: yes they are some old authentic millencolin-style lyrics ("Biftek Supernova," "Mooseman's Jukebox"), but for some songs, the lyrics are just very serious and match perfectly with the melody ("Birdie," "Shut You Out"). Nikola's voice has also changed a lot: he almost lost his swedish accent, which you could hear on the old previous albums like the excellent "Life On A Plate."

Perfect. That's it, perfect! This CD is just the best one of the band. I'ts just simple: it drives me mad if I don't listen just to one song of it per day (especially "My Name Is Golden" and "Ray"). This album is for everyone who likes punk and for the ones who don't.