Machine 15 Review

Millencolin: Machine 15
Released: Apr 7, 2008
Genre: Pop Punk, Punk Rock, Alternative Rock
Label: Burning Heart, Epitaph
After making several albums where the punk sound was in focus, this record sure goes in a different direction than before.
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Machine 15 Reviewed by: MattKingerZ, on september 08, 2014

Sound: After making several albums where the punk sound was in focus, this record sure goes in a different direction than before. This is their 8th record and it was released back in 2008. Most of the tracks on this album have a more modern pop rock/alternative sound which also opens up a wider audience as well. The previous record "Kingwood" have a song called "Shut You Out" which has a similar sound to many of the tracks on "Machine 15." The chord patterns remain quite simple on each track - a simple build up of a few chords that are repeated throughout the song. What makes this album complete is the vocals of the lead singer Nikola Sarcevic. Even though the songs might seem simple I would say they were nothing without his singing. // 8

Lyrics: The third track which is called "Detox" has catchy lyrics, and once you've heard the chorus you won't get it out of your head. It's about detoxing from habits like coffee, smoking and drinking. The lyrics in each song feels well-thought-out, like it took weeks to complete one song. Nikola must have taken more time writing the lyrics to these songs if one compares this record with the previous ones. This is more serious and the lyrics are not random and most of it makes sense as well. It seems like they want to show the world that they are on their way up. // 9

Overall Impression: Since I've listened to most of their previous records I would say that this one in particular has a very unique sound. I listen to most of the songs from this record almost everyday, since all the catchy stuff tends to loop inside my head. There are a few favourite songs of mine and I recommend them if you haven't heard Millencolin before - "Come On," "Brand New Game" and "Vicious Circle." They are very simple, and I would say that just about anyone could listen to these songs and like them. This record is also a great place to start off with if you want to explore punk later. // 10

Comments