Psalm 69 review by Ministry

• Released: Jul 14, 1992
Ministry: Psalm 69

I think the best way to describe the sound is a sonic assault of pounding instruments and angry distorted vocals. Unlike Ministry's last two albums, mind and rape, with were solid industrial metal, this is more metal with industrial elements. It adds a lot of guitar and takes away a lot of synth. This album will give you a wonderful headache, I promise you. Whether it's Al's anger on N.W.O, his desperation towards the end of Just One Fix, Or Gibby's psychotic ranting on Jesus Built My Hot rod, it's truly noise in its best form.

They lyrics are by no means bad, but they're not great either. They fit the music well, and that's the important thing. The lyrics for N.W.O are quite good. I particularly like the line "I open fire cause I love you to death" and unlike most of Ministry's albums, the lyrics are not devoid of humor. Jesus Built My Hot Rod is filled with ranting about God knows what with a hilarious intro and outro. It's also maybe Ministry's only song to get any radio play.

While this isn't Ministry's best album (my favorite studio album is either Mind or Rape, and my favorite album is in case you didn't feel like showing up: live). It's them in their prime, and is almost as good as the three albums I just named. In addition, it was probably their last really good album. If you want some good, angry industrial metal, then I hope you already have this. But if not, get it.

nolife'tilmetal
    hamsterman64 wrote: Uh. Good review, I guess. One thing is that Skinny Puppy is NOT industrial metal. They are much more industrial/electronic. They barely ever use guitars.
    that's true... -about the Skinny Puppy thing..... I don't remember the word "guitar" being anywhere in "brap." same with :WUMPSCUT:
    nolife'tilmetal
    but notice, hamsterman64, that Dallas didn't say anything about industrial METAL. Look at his comment again.
    swave75
    I love the song Scarecrow and Hero the best. This album is a classic!!!