Psalm 69 Review

artist: Ministry date: 07/28/2008 category: compact discs
Ministry: Psalm 69
Release Date: Jul 14, 1992
Label: Sire
Genres: Alternative Metal, Industrial, Alternative Pop/Rock, Industrial Metal, Industrial Dance
Psalm 69 is often terribly underrated, but where Ministry succeeds while so many failed easily has to do with sheer vitriol only slightly tempered by the overwhelming hugeness of the songs.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.9
 8.7
Psalm 69 Reviewed by: bassplayer496, on july 28, 2008

Sound: I think the best way to describe the sound is a sonic assault of pounding instruments and angry distorted vocals. Unlike Ministry's last two albums, mind and rape, with were solid industrial metal, this is more metal with industrial elements. It adds a lot of guitar and takes away a lot of synth. This album will give you a wonderful headache, I promise you. Whether it's Al's anger on N.W.O, his desperation towards the end of Just One Fix, Or Gibby's psychotic ranting on Jesus Built My Hot rod, it's truly noise in its best form. // 9

Lyrics: They lyrics are by no means bad, but they're not great either. They fit the music well, and that's the important thing. The lyrics for N.W.O are quite good. I particularly like the line "I open fire cause I love you to death" and unlike most of Ministry's albums, the lyrics are not devoid of humor. Jesus Built My Hot Rod is filled with ranting about God knows what with a hilarious intro and outro. It's also maybe Ministry's only song to get any radio play. // 7

Overall Impression: While this isn't Ministry's best album (my favorite studio album is either Mind or Rape, and my favorite album is in case you didn't feel like showing up: live). It's them in their prime, and is almost as good as the three albums I just named. In addition, it was probably their last really good album. If you want some good, angry industrial metal, then I hope you already have this. But if not, get it. // 8

Psalm 69 Reviewed by: BlistienZepp, on february 24, 2006

Sound: I believe it was Green Day's Billy Joe Armstrong who described Ministry as "pure noise" (as a compliment, of course), and my god, was he right. Psalm 69, the band's highly anticipated follow-up to 1989's "The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste" not only met expectations, they blew them away. This and Nine Inch Nails' "The Downward Spiral" are credited with brining the Industrial Metal Genre to the Mainstream. The Sound ranges from pure ferocity on tracks such as "Just One Fix" and "N.W.O." to slow lumbering numbers like "Scarecrow" and the title track. One thing about many Industrial bands in general that sometimes kills the sound are samples, luckally Ministry uses a correct number of samples in just the right places which compliments the music very, very well. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics range from strange gibberish ("Jesus Built My Hotrod") to very political ("TVII," "Hero"). The lyrics fit the songs perfectly and create a mood that creates the very dark imagry the songs are suggesting (With the exception of "Jesus Built My Hotrod," I really have no idea what thats about, yet it still fits the song perfectly). The singing is really what you'd expect from an Industrial band: destorted lyrics, voice pitch changes, speed ups in voice tempo (a-la "TVII"). Some may be put off by the destorted vocals, but I find that they fit the song the best. // 10

Overall Impression: Ministry may be one of the most important band in Industrial Metal, hell, they invented it! They have influenced so many such as NIN, KMFDM, and many others. The album's highlights include "N.W.O.", "Just One Fix," "Jesus Built My Hotrod" and the title track. For those who would like to dive deeper into industrial metal, I suggest bands like: Wumpscut, Skinny Puppy, KMFDM and (If you haven't heard them already) Nine Inch Nails. As for this album, it is a landmark acheavment in the Industrial world and deserves a perfect score. // 10

Comments