The Last Sucker review by Ministry

• Released: Sep 18, 2007
Ministry: The Last Sucker

If George Bush has been good for anything, it's inspiring Ministry frontman Al Jourgensen to write some of his best -- and most politically scathing -- material. The band's 11th and final album The Last Sucker is the final part in the trilogy that focuses on pretty much all that has gone wrong under the Bush regime. It's truly the message that is driving the songs on the album, with titles like Death And Destruction and The Dick Song (an ode of sort to our vice president) using direct samples from Bush and Cheney's speeches. If you're not fond of political records, then you may find that The Last Sucker lays it on a bit thick. Even with all of the war talk, underneath it all there are still some pretty cool, industrial rock compositions. Jourgensen apparently told Billboard back in 2006 that he had no intention of going the Rolling Stones or Aerosmith route, which some might politely call overstaying your welcome. While he's bold to make the statement, it is true that there is a fire in Ministry's music that continues to keep the band's sound current. The Last Sucker is not a perfect album by any means, but it definitely is an album that proves why Jourgensen still deserves to be a key figure in today's metal scene. Appropriately starting out Ministry's final CD is a preacher's voice declaring that the end of times is near. It's true that Ministry's time has come to an end, but it's obvious there is a more ominous overtone regarding the Iraqi war. The CD immediately jumps into the song Let's Go, which is spot-on in terms of energy (as is any song that proclaims let's go insane), but it is also one of the more repetitive tracks on the CD. Guitarist Tommy Victor is able to resurrect the song with an absolutely incredible guitar solo -- one of many on The Last Sucker that strike a beautiful balance between speed and melody. While The Dick Song is basically an attack on Dick Cheney and his ongoing shenanigans, the music was definitely not an afterthought. There is nice drum track that recalls Nine Inch Nails' Closer, and it's a nice change in the other percussive elements used in other tracks. Death And Destruction is another track that features some very cool effects in the introduction, once again highlighted by a touch of the political -- in this case, little splices of Bush saying, Death and destruction... The most unexpected addition to the track list is a cover of The Doors' Roadhouse Blues. It's definitely a change from the original, primarily because the tempo is much, much faster. The bluesy element is pretty much eliminated, which is not it's best point. Ministry does inject it's own style into the song, but Doors' purists will find that the cover just does not do the original justice.

Al Jourgensen makes his opinion known about Bush, Cheney, and war in general on The Last Sucker, keeping with the overall theme of Ministry's trilogy. When you combine Jourgensen's own words with the various political samples he adds into the mix, it makes a huge impression. The record reflects on the decision to go to war with Iraq through vocal samplings of Bush, Cheney, and others. It's a timely record if it's anything, and that can connect with a wide audience in itself. So when you hear the sampled phrase Satan's emissary on earth at the end of The Dick Song, it expresses the thoughts a lot of people might be feeling about the men in power. To top it off Jourgensen sings, Run, run, run; Cheney's got a gun. They are just beautifully caustic lyrics that completely get the point across.

For all of the focus on the outspoken lyrics, there are a few songs that would be killer tracks with or without the words. Die In A Crash features a high-pitched keyboard that sounds very cool against the lower register of Jourgensen's vocals. And then you've got the fantastic guitar work, which is consistently impressive throughout (particularly during the solos using the wah pedal). It really breaks up the usual industrial sound and adds almost a bluesy element on speed at times. Ministry has had a lengthy and highly influential career in the world of industrial music, and it's final album ends on a high note. The Last Sucker is one of the most politically charged albums written in a long time and that in itself is commendable. The music is not always on par with the band's political mission, but there are a few songs that do manage to compete with the lyrical content and confirm that the band is going out in a blaze of glory.

TeethinG
    System Overide wrote: Now what do i have to ding-a-ling-dang-my-dang-a-lang-lin-long too?
    HAHA, NICE! Ministry has been around for a while, and a hell of a job they have done. I should go out and buy this..
    GodbowstoMath
    bucket bot wrote: Yet another Bush-bashing metal band...
    Ministry didn't really start late... they've hated Bush/Cheney for some time. They actually offer a point of view instead of the same crap that most people use as there "opinion" ala Green Day.
    DroptheBomb
    mr. riff wrote: Flummery wrote: all i have to say is that i love to apply Ministry directly to my forehead Lol. Ministry, apply directly to the forehead!
    i prefer to take ministry as a supository lol
    DroptheBomb
    good point...
    shredtone
    staind_dust87 wrote: Dude is he seriously bashing Bush? Oh my God, what a ballsy move Al, since everyone and his brother is or has done it a hundred time already. I have to say, the lack of originality is killin' me.
    Wow seriously are you clueless? Ministry has been doing this since the early 90's with Bush Sr. Like the above poster said "N.W.O. anyone?" But you probably wouldn't know that because you were still sucking on your momma's tit at the time. If anyone is guilty of copying it's the "100's of other bands" you speak of copying Ministry!
    shredtone
    minimann
    If you guys don't remember ministry were bushbashing on Psalm 69 album so therefore it is right to continue. NWO anyone? some could argue they invented bush bashing
    ready2breakdown
    people will praise their music in a few years, just give them some time! I definitely love their music. But I wasnt totally crazy about the stuff that Al was singing about in the last THREE ALBUMS! I hate Bush and all, but it almost seems like a cop-out to me when its the only thing you're singing about. And I mean to give so much attention to a person you don't like is outrageous to me. I think I'd spend my time addressing things I care for more than things I hate. But hey to each their own! At least they left us some kick ass music!
    Crimson_Tearz
    wow... those are my world history notes. sorry guys lol. I meant to COPY what i was writing in case I didn't get logged in correctly. what i meant to say: I've never heard of Ministry until now. Then again, I'm not a fan of rapid succession scales and screaming. Props to the talent required for those who enjoy playing it though. On the political aspect of things... I find it hypocritical when any band bashes the American government in order to make money in... America. God bless America!
    Crimson_Tearz
    9/18/07 IV. Classical Age (500-338 bc) i. Persian Wars (499-479 bc)- Ionian revolt- Greeks there disliked rule of iron fist, appeal to Sparta (busy), then Athens (a few ships), then Darius sends with 18 to 20,000 men. Battle of Marathon- Persians lose a third of their army. Athenians lose less than 200 men. Phalanx- secure formation with locked shields and poles. Xerxes- determined to conquer Greece permanently, army of 150-200,000 men and 600-1000 ships. Athenians 200-300 ships. Battle of Thermoplaye- story of 300. Leonidas takes task of fighting the Persians to buy Athenians time. Battle of Salamas- Thermistocles (Athenian general) positions navy in water. Idea to ram the Persian fleet to cut off supplies. Triremes. Battle of Plataea- saved the classical age. ii. Peloponnesian War (431-404 bc)- caused by Athenian imperialism. Delian League- used to rebuild Athens. In 465- Thasos (greek city state) decided to leave. Athens crushed them. Corinth ally of Sparta. War breaks out between Sparta and Athens, Sparta wins. Pericles (great leader of Athens) dies. Sparta replaces Athens as principal power in Greek world. 371-338 bc, greek society characterized by endemic warfare and created a power vacuum. 338 bc- greek mainland invaded by Masadonians, over around 336 bc. Greece conquered, end of the city-state. iii. A revolution in Thought- Philosophy- Attempted to look at society and world in reasonable and intelligent terms. Characteristic of reasonable and rational nature of Greece. Turning point in world history. Early thinkers focused on natural world. Thales- astronomer and mathematician- first principal of life is water. Anaximanes- everything comes from life, Anaximander- species evolved over time, man come from fish or things like fish. Pythagorus- mathematical order to everything. All pushing thought in new direction, intelligent and rational perspective. Greeks planetary system. more focus on man and society rather than nature. Sophists- Based on relativism, all morality is relative to the era or people. Classical Philosophers- a. Socrates (470-399bc), Athenian, promoted universal ethics. Witnessed Peloponnesian War. Athenians ordered slaughter of Melos because they wouldnt give up their neutrality.
    rebreh
    Wow another rock group who think they are right. SO original. Why do these guys we pay for music think they know everything.
    hot-pyro
    it actually took me like 10 seconds to realize that, the freaky lizard man on the album cover is actually bush...
    staind_dust87
    Dude is he seriously bashing Bush? Oh my God, what a ballsy move Al, since everyone and his brother is or has done it a hundred time already. I have to say, the lack of originality is killin' me. Minstry bowed out at the right time, I mean, what would Al have done once Bush was out of office?!
    rhymeswith suck
    One of my favourite Ministry albums so far. Songs like "Let's Go" combine the industrial vibe of the old with the heavy loop-style riffs of Rio Grnage Blood.
    Rize
    ministry ****ing owns!!!!! sad to see such a great and influential band leave the music scene. i'm definantly seeing them on their last tour.RIP
    mr. riff
    Lol. Ministry, apply directly to the forehead!
    Metalhead118
    RIP Ministry... Well, the music industry has to get it's act togather and get some good metal bands. it'll only take 'Just One Fix' Hail to Ministry!!
    burn the stars
    and when they break the mainstream everyone will abandon them and bitch about how much they suck. ill always like ministry as the new wave synth band they were not this cheep crap theyve become. oh well, heres to a good band.
    bigbunny
    electricwizard_ wrote: zerodeck wrote: spazzymagee wrote: I Second that. Another fine band bites the dust. In ten years time there will be no decent bands left, apart from the Rolling Stones (who will never stop touring), as the record industry has sacrificed the lamb of originality and longevity with cheap pop-rock that has a life span of 2-3 years. RIP Ministry there will be good bands, but they'll all be underground! +1 +2!
    +3!!! Real music is underground these days simply because sheep don't want real music.
    bigbunny
    +3!!! Good music is underground these days simply because sheep don't want real music.
    Flummery
    all i have to say is that i love to apply Ministry directly to my forehead
    shadow_murph
    True! there are a bunch of great sounding metal bands around but they are all underground. The only bands getting any attention are all the mainstream bands, people seem to be forgetting about all these really awesome full of talent metal bands... and to stay on topic, the bush bashing of the album seems cool i'll probably give it a listen
    MaGgOt_13
    +2!
    electricwizard_
    zerodeck
    there will be good bands, but they'll all be underground!
    spazzymagee
    GodbowstoMath
    DroptheBomb wrote: mr. riff wrote: Flummery wrote: Ouch! talk about metal up your ass eh? all i have to say is that i love to apply Ministry directly to my forehead Lol. Ministry, apply directly to the forehead! i prefer to take ministry as a supository lol