Platinum Review

7.9
 8.7
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this album:
Platinum Reviewed by: khristianann14, on october 16, 2014

Sound: What impresses me the most is that she goes from sassy and rocker-girl sounding to soft and quiet on the love songs. She hits those high and loud notes perfectly, along with the low and soft notes. She obviously used guitar, keyboard/piano, bass, drums, etc... However, you can also hear banjo, fiddle, steel guitar, and mandolin on and throughout the album as well, so she definitely stays true to her country roots.

My overall impression of the sound and music is that it speaks of someone who's found the sound they're most comfortable with. You can really hear those songs that she wrote or are really personal for her, which I think is a really interesting thing to note on the album. // 8

Lyrics: My impression of the lyrics is that they all work together. I definitely have my favorites, and not-so much favorites, but all in all they all work together and coordinate with each other in a way. They're much more mature than her previous albums, honestly, so. I feel like the lyrics work very well with the music. You can hear the country roots in the music, and the lyrics just kind of compound it.

I feel like Miranda's voice worked very well for all of these songs. She knew what she was doing when she picked the songs for this album, and she just brought it 100%. I definitely feel like several of these songs could've only been sung by her, because she knew exactly how to bring them and make them come alive for her audience. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm very selective about the music I listen to, and while you can definitely hear how she was influenced by older country artists, it's still very modern and she seemingly effortlessly brought two different times together in one album. I feel like the most impressive songs from the album would be "Girls," "Priscilla," "Automatic," "Gravity Is a B-tch," "Two Rings Shy," and "Hard Staying Sober." Almost all of those songs had incredible lyrical quality in them, and all but "Girls" and "Priscilla" were co-written by Miranda herself.

What I love about this album is that it speaks of someone who's found their sound. They've found the sound that they like best or that maybe works best for them, and I love that. I love the lyrical ability of this album. I love the musical quality. I think the one thing I hate about it would be the song "Old Sh-t." It's not the best song she's ever done by any means, and the instrumentals don't seem impressive. That was the one song that seemed to kind of just flop for me.

It it were stolen/lost, yes I'd definitely buy it again. Even though I could go to iTunes and download it, I like having the physical copy in my hands and being able to put it in a CD player, so yes I'd definitely go buy it again. // 9

Comments