Concert For George [DVD] review by [Miscellaneous]

• Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 9
[Miscellaneous]: Concert For George [DVD]

From the back of the box, "A tribute to George Harrison under the musical direction of Eric Clapton. Featuring Joe Brown, Eric Clapton, Jools Holland, Sam Brown, Dhani Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Paul McCartney, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Billy Preston, Ravi and Anoushka Shankar, Ringo Starr." The band line up itself got me to buy this set, and it sounds amazing. The music was very well covered by all of these artists, very faithful renditions. This was recorder at the Royal Albert Hall in London on November 29 of 2002. The musicians were at peak preformance.

Content — 9
The content of this set is very simple: A bunch of Harrison's friends showed up and played a couple of George's songs apeice, including everyone coming out to play a song at the end. Additional things include some before-hand practice, and some origional crew members of "Montey Python" coming out to preform Georges favorite scetch, the lumberjack song (sometimes, Harrison assumed the name "Jack Lumber" as a pseudonym at some places). In the begining of the concert, There is a large Indian orchestra under direction of Ravi Shankar. There are three songs that feature a Sitar, then thetransition to the western music is done by the Pythons, where a total number of tracks comes to be 24.

Production Quality — 9
No technologies or tricks in this DVD, only great music. The production quality is good, and the stage lighting was perfect, none of those bobbing light effects that give you headachs. The artists were introduced as they came on, then, without any showmanship, played their set as a tribute to a wonderful friend.

The most impresive thing on this concert is the blending of musical talent into one night, and being played together. I was slightly nervous about how all of these big-name artists would sound together on the same stage. Turns out it was all for nothing. I thought that the band could have played a few more numbers, but I won't complain. If it were lost, I would go straight to the used CD store and buy another. This is a great concert, and I'm so glad that I bought it when I had the chance.

taylordcaddy
    iv probibly watched this a thousand times but it never gets old George is god and having jeff lynn and clapton doing the hits with tom petty and ringo paul awsome georges son dhani even seems very cool love this DVD