Heirs To Thievery review by Misery Index

• Released: May 11, 2010
Misery Index: Heirs To Thievery

"Heirs to Thievery" is Misery Index's fourth album, released May 11th 2010 via Relapse Records. Misery Index maintains their death-grind sound with a creative and interesting combination of death metal and grindcore. Sparky Voyles and Mark Kloppel's contribute excellent guitar work to the album with catchy deathgrind riffs and punchy, strong guitar tone. Jason Netherton's bass work is also a nice addition to the album with a great bass tone and helps contribute to the overall powerfull tone of the album. Adam Jarvis' drumming is creative and groovy with different elements of blasting, technicality and groove. This album is a perfect example of tasteful deathgrind and is another excellent release by Misery Index.

Lyrics continue to remain mostly political with a hint of anti-religion. An example of their polical lyrics from the titled track "Heirs to Thievery": "Disseminating myths upon a passive youth Lets look back upon, some long-enshrouded truths Where fables often tell, of tyrannies undone As good guys all wear white, and wars are always won" Their lyrics are fairly creative and expose flaws of modern society. "Sleeping Giants" is a fine example. "As giants we sleep, where hopelessness ends An UN statistics, we're counted and fed Children of war, hunger, and filth Dragged through the dust in our misery Where you won't be seen alive..." Jason Netherton's vocals are usually higher then the other vocalist but can range to lower vocals. Mark Kloppel's vocals tend to be lower and slightly guttural vocals but can range to higher vocals. Both of their vocal style contribute well to the album and overall sound of the songs.

Compared to Misery Index's previous album "Traitors", "Heirs to Thievery" is faster yet still maintains an excellent death grind groove and feel to it. The most impressive songs off the album include: "Fed to the Wolves", "Heirs to Thievery", "The Spectator" and "Sleeping Giants". What I love most about the album is the catchy combination of death metal and grindcore which makes this album an excellent listen if you are a fan of either genre. Overall this is a great release and if it were stolen or lost I would fairly quickly buy another copy of the album.

col50
    EpiExplorer wrote: Is alright. Sometimes a bit wank though.
    I wouldn't really consider them wankery though. They aren't tech death like bands such as Necrophagist and brain drill
    DyingToFish
    I prefer misery index over dying fetus, I can't stand the frog like vocals of dying fetus. Plus I prefer the grind core edge that is misery index