The Devil's Rain review by Misfits

• Released: Oct 4, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Misfits: The Devil's Rain

"The Devil's Rain" is the seventh studio album release by the fathers of horror-punk, the Misfits. The current incarnation of the Misfits are a different animal than the band who created a genre 29 years ago. One original member remains Jerry Only. Jerry is joined on this album by Dez Cadena on guitar and backing vocals and Eric "Goat" Arce on drums. The original few releases by the Misfits were hardcore punk with a horror theme, but over the years the music has slowly become more metal than punk. On "The Devil's Rain" the sound does delve repeatedly into metal, from doom to thrash, but there are some very punk moments. Maybe, there is more a feeling of punk rock on "The Devil's Rain" than has been in an album by the Misfits for a while. These punk moments are most clearly expressed in "Twilight Of The Dead" and "Cold In Hell". There are sixteen tracks on "the Devil's Rain", with 12 of those tracks being written and composed solely by Jerry Only. "Jack The Ripper" and "Death Ray" were written by Dez Cadena. "Monkey's Paw" was written by Jerry Only with Daniel Rey. "Sleepwalkin" was written by Jerry Only with the assistance of producer, Ed Stasium. The album clocks in at just over 50 minutes, which is a pretty respectable length for an album. This is the first release by the Misfits since "Project 1950" was released in 2003. The last original release by the Misfits was "Famous Monsters" in 1999. I've been a casual fan of the Misfits since the early 90's, and a bigger fan of some bands influenced by the Misfits in the horror-punk and horror-metal genres. While I am not astonished and impressed by this newest release, I do feel like it is a fairly respectable effort and I enjoy hearing more of their punk rock sound return.

Okay, this is the Misfits so guess what the lyrics are about? You guessed horror themes with an occasional dash of science fiction. For all the cheesiness you would imagine goes along with that, it actually comes across as pretty entertaining if you are in the right frame of mind. The vocal delivery is pretty solid throughout the album, though it absolutely is done in a style of delivery that is definitive of the Misfits' previous work. The lyrics manage to go from being dark and gloomy, then into the realm of the cheesy, then into slightly more ordinary styled lyrics without missing a beat. While I do miss the days when Danzig fronted the Misfits, you have to respect Jerry Only for carrying the Misfits forward for all of these years and really growing into a frontman. It is very unfortunate that the musical scene has moved away from what it was for the Misfits in the early days of the band. Hopefully with recent releases, like Alice Cooper's "Welcome 2 My Nightmare" and a lot of the horror themed songs such as some of Avenged Sevenfold's work, we will see a resurgence and a more open reception to further releases by the Misfits and other horror-themed bands. I do hope we don't have to wait this long for the next release.

The artwork on the album cover for "The Devil's Rain" was done by Arthur Suydam, and is awesome and reminiscent of some of the great album covers of the late 80's. The figure on the cover is a skull in a clock, lightning between his hands. Very epic, very dark, very horror and very much fitting for this new release by the Misfits. My favorite song from the album is "Ghost Of Frankenstein", but I am also very fond of the title track, "The Devil's Rain". I like the fact that the Misfits seem to be moving back to their punk roots, and still keeping a good balance of metal. This album will not stay on my mp3 player a long time, but I will keep it around for some future listens, and I imagine I will occasionally go back to it for another taste.

katalyzt13
    That's actually a really awesome band name.
    Grimriffer
    Shit! the album art looked like it would be some kick-ass death metal, but after listening to this it's some gay shit(
    FearOfTheDuck
    I wouldn't call they the Misfits but they're coming to my area in February, so i shall be seeing them for the classics. Even if there is no Danzig it'll still be a great time
    HARTATTACK69
    katalyzt13 wrote: jakobross424 wrote: And technically, Jerry Only isn't an original member. He joined like two months after they formed, and they had a different bassist before he joined. But Jerry did create that weird devil lock haircut. And technically, wouldn't the Misfits now be a Misfits cover band? Well, Jerry was with The Misfits with their first recording, right? I guess it would come down to how you define a founding member. I would think if they were there for the first recording, then they are original...
    yeah its like saying Kirk Hammet isnt an original Metallica member because they played with Mustaine but recorded the first album with kirk
    katalyzt13
    jakobross424
    jakobross424
    This album is ridiculous in terms of lyrics and I am not impressed. Jerry Only is no Glenn Danzig and never will be. But, I would love this album a lot more if it were called Jerry Only and His Spooky Fun Time Pals.
    Reign77
    can i replace jerry only and put my name in and use that?
    Paul*Stanley
    Sandor138 wrote: By all rights they should be called "Jerry Only and his Spooky Fun Time Pals" at this point.
    You are my favorite person ever
    Saint78
    I liked the Danzig and the Graves stuff, but this is hardly the Misfits anymore.
    GREENWARRI0R
    This is one of those bands that I feel needs to either change their name or just stop making music. I prefer the latter.
    k90728
    katalyzt13 wrote: Sandor138 wrote: And then again when graves left. By all rights they should be called "Jerry Only and his Spooky Fun Time Pals" at this point. That's actually a really awesome band name.
    lol it really is. i would respect them more if they did that.. funny cus im wearin an 06' misfits tour shirt as im writing this haha
    K Reyn
    SumFX wrote: They really should have just changed their name when Danzig left.
    This.
    Sandor138
    SumFX wrote: They really should have just changed their name when Danzig left.
    krvolok
    I like it so far,however I don't know is that because the album itself or me being slightly nostalgic.Gotta agree with the second line.
    Roberttitus
    So far I'm really (& surprisingly) loving it... Jerry's Voice isn't the best on all of the tracks, but the one's that it is, he nails it.