The Devil's Rain review by Misfits

• Released: Oct 4, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Misfits: The Devil's Rain

Like the albums from the Graves era of the Misfits, this disc has mostly metal-oriented songs with a couple of punk songs mixed in between. What surprised me most about "The Devil's Rain" was that there actually are some songs on it that sound like they could be right out of the Danzig era. Overall, it's a little slower than the manic speed of their 1990s albums and sounds more like a tribute to the way they were in the 70s than accurately reproducing it. All in all, at least it isn't as bad as it could have been. If you were going to replace everyone in the Misfits except Jerry, I can't think of anyone I would rather have do it other than veteran punk musicians, so Dez and Goat work well. It's better than "Project 1950". Still, it doesn't have the spark that their old albums did.

Glenn Danzig was without a doubt the greatest singer that the Misfits have ever had. And even though a lot of people don't like him, Michael added something different to the band that worked. Both of them had a lot of power in their voices and were very distinctive. But frankly, Jerry Only should have let someone else take the microphone for this round. It's not that he's a terrible singer or anything, but his voice has no personality in it. If Danzig or Graves (who has said that he would rejoin the Misfits if asked) were singing on this album and you didn't even change anything else, I think I would have liked it a lot more.

Overall, "The Devil's Rain" isn't a complete failure, it's just not the Misfits. It sounds like Jerry Only in a new band trying to recreate his glory days in one of the greatest punk rock bands of all time. However, if you want a halfway decent rock record that sounds somewhat like the Misfits, with some cool guitar solos (on a Misfits album? No way!) and don't mind some mediocre vocals, give it a listen. "Find Land Of The Dead", "The Black Hole", "Unexplained" and "Where Do They Go?" on YouTube and give them a listen, and then decide for yourself if you want to buy it. "The Devil's Rain" will do for now, but we all know we're just waiting and hoping for a classic Misfits reunion.

KingRaven
    Captain Insano wrote: I hate Jerry Only. I don't want to listen to him and his misfit group of ex-Black Flag members.
    Sewage Rat
    C'mon everyone keeps b****ing more about the band names nowadays (*cough*GNR*cough*) but put all that aside and judge the music for what it is...and in all fairness its not bad, sure its not the same thing as before but its a fun listen. Also, if anyone didn't know they were releasing a new album and saw it randomly (like me) its a great surprise.
    AL_Dorado
    Yes. Danzig Misfits was awesome. But its not coming back and you can either have Only Misfits or no Misfits and i know what i'd prefer. Im just surprised Only didnt sing on on Psycho or Monsters, he's got a way less metal voice than Graves which gives this album its punk back.
    GMPX
    I've been listening to this for a few weeks and there is some really good tracks on here. 'Vivid Red' , 'Cold in Hell' , 'Mummys Hand'. These to me stand out as every bit as good as any Misfits song in years gone by with typical Misfits feel (and stupid lyrics). I've been a fan through all the line ups too. Don't hate it because it's not the line up you wish was still around, take it for what it is.