Apologies Are For The Weak review by Miss May I

• Released: Jun 23, 2009
Miss May I: Apologies Are For The Weak

Miss May I is a metalcore band from Dayton, Ohio that adds elements of thrash and melodic death metal into their music. The overall sound on this album is amazing. Every member of this band is very talented for their age (No members older than 19 at the time) The drummer is crazy with punishing double bass and complex fills. The guitarists play very fast and complicated riffs, complete with chugging and tremolo picking, and the bassist follows along. The breakdowns are also very heavy, but are nothing new for this genre. The only downside to the music really is that the band barely does anything outside of their boundaries, they mostly stick to thrashy metalcore, and never really step outside the line.

Lyrics are very interesting, and mostly talk about our dying world. They are very dark and fit with the music well. Levi Benton is an amazing screamer, and he can do it all, high pitched shrieks, guttural growls and mids. The clean vocals are almost as good, and compliment the screams very nicely.

This album is definitely for fans of TDWP, BMTH and AILD. The most impressive tracks are "Architect", "Forgive And Forget" and "Harlots Breath". I love the screams, the fast riffage and the heavy drumming. This band and this particular album are a major influence on the stuff I'm writing for my band right now. I wish I would have actually bought the album now, because it's amazing.