Monument review by Miss May I

• Released: Aug 17, 2010
Miss May I: Monument

As a follow up to Apologies are for the Weak, their new CD has made all improvements possible. The opening track, "Our Kings" kicks off with fast, heavy riffs that distinguishes the bands unique sound. BJ Stead and Justin Aufdemkampe(the two guitarists) have continues the same melodic style that gives an overall deep impression with very out of the ordinary play. Their utilization of breakdowns does not by any means follow the "breakdown steryotype." Levi Benton(Lead Singer) and Ryan Neff(Bass/Clean Vocals) have added a much more epic feel to the singing in the record. The clean vocal tracks are a great contrast to Levi's deep growls and heartpounding screams. And there is not much to say about the drums. Except Jerod Boyd(Drummer) has done it yet again. Another record flawless and clean with incredibly fast beats that no other band matches.

The songs in the record seem to follow a concept feel, without being a concept record. Many of the lyrics have deep, double meanings that express emotions towards the outlook of society and how he feels among it. Levi's voice has much improved from the last record. While still following the same style, he seems to push his boundaries. With many fans thinking he had blew his voice out from live shows, he has definelty come back with a slap in the face. Ryan's vocals have become more uniform and icreased in ability. He is now pushing higher notes even he thought he could not. With additions to the album such as his first solo song in terms of vocals, "In Recognition," he seems to be doing quite well.

After elaborating on this album, you will not find it uncommon to think back to As I Lay Dying's newest album. "Masses of a Dying Breed" shows the fast progressive licks that make Metal bands great. Also hearing a bit of a Killswitch Engage style was surprising. This album is as metal as metalcore gets in terms of style. If you are looking for the heaviest end of this album, songs such as "Creation," "Gears," "Answers," and "Rust" should not fail to please. They still have the underground feeling the band has fortunetely yet to lose. So far, I love the fact that this band has changed and stayed for the better. They have not changed due to any commercial success and keep on pushing the term "hardcore" to newer hights. The only thing I dislike about it is the fact that the songs do not include guitar solos. Which is a downside, but they can still do without. But overall, I could not stand to lose this album.

espplayer400
    Good stuff. YET IM SAYING THIS KNOWING WHAT THEY ARE. I agree, theyre not anything original, theyre like the hundreds of other post hardcore or whatever you esnt to call it bands out there (if you genre nazis attack me, i swear..) but even if they are original, they do what they do, better than alot of other bands that they have similar playing styles to.
    Grave Robber
    Random3
    Just because something is unique does not mean it can't be compared to anything.
    aCloudConnected
    They're good for what they do. But I really wouldn't say they're anything original. They've got their own sound, but all of their songs really do sound too similar, and the guitars rely way to much on going from the VI to the V. Like they have that in every riff in every song.
    LightxGrenade
    Bjorney
    How can he call their sound unique 3 lines after comparing their sound to as i lay dying
    pnkhrdwndr
    their first cd has some really cool songs, but they aren't amazing. They have just enough metal in the metalcore to be just another metalcore band.
    hildesaw
    Alpha_Wolf
    hildesaw wrote: Grave Robber wrote: To me this band are really only one of the unique metalcore bands. I Don't know what it is but they sound fresh or something new unlike all the other kind of recycled metalcore. See, people keep telling me the same thing, but I don't see it. Its pretty decent, but it doesn't seem any different to me. Am I missing something?
    Same here!!
    ianaimo
    Hmm I may check this out. I heard their cover of the hip-hop song "swing" i dug it. I saw them live though with emmure, terror, after the burial, and thick as blood. Out of all of those bands, i felt miss may i performed the worse. I guess I got a little turned off by that. Then again, it is kinda hard to be stuck playing between thick as blood and after the burial two AMAZING bands. Its tough to stand out with that...
    Megatallica18
    for me, miss may i compares to all that remains.....i usually listen to megadeth and lamb of god, but i also love some metalcore on the side.... miss may i really has those those high fry-vocals which drive me insane! (in a good way!) one thing im kinda meh on is the clean vocals on here...they sound like fall out boy and panic at the disco when they do the clean vocals... appart from that, i love the double bass and the amazing guitar riffs....fresh band, definately look into this album if you like metal
    mpastrick
    LightxGrenade wrote: To me this band is one of those bands where I find like one or two good songs on the album and forget the rest, last time it was "Tides" and "A Dance With Aera Cura" (sp?). They're kinda monotonous seems like they got a formula for making songs and they rarely stray from it. They do show some growth as musicians but nothing too special. On a side note, this review could've used a bit of proofreading...
    Yes, I understand. I was in a hurry to get this submittted and had no time to proofread or have someone else proofread. Sorry to everyone for the grammatical errors.
    synestershadows
    This band is not unique in any way. If you want unique listen to Misery Signals, This or The Apocalypse and Stray From The Path.