Monument review by Miss May I

• Released: Aug 17, 2010
Miss May I: Monument

This album is the best metalcore album I have heard in a long time, probably the best I have ever heard... So I'm just gonna do a song-by-song review: 01. Our Kings: such an powerful opener to this great album, and strong lyrics. The breakdown at the end is very original, I have never heard anything like it, it just puts a smile on my face evrytime I hear it (: 02. Masses Of A Dying Breed: the intro may seem soft, but this song is anything but soft, it will kick your ass with the breakdown, while Levi screams the powerful words ''Your only making a fool of yourself!'' 03. Answers: it's funny how this song is called ''Answers'' while the lyrics are all questions. Sick song, nothing more to say. 04. Relentless Chaos: this song has such an nasty breakdown, it's like really heavy and then it kind of continues into an even heavier one, really good job. Rest of the song is great as well. 05. Creations: this song is cool, but not very special, nice guitar riffs, nasty breakdown and good lyrics. 06. Gears: this is DEFINATELY my favorite song on this album, the intro is sooo good, the clean vocals are totally perfect and the breakdown is very nice! You should definately check this song out! 07. Colossal: nasty as hell breakdown in the intro, and insane double bass in the breakdown later on in the song. 08. We Have Fallen: this song is also VERY good, it has the best lyrics and they totally fit every part of the song! 09. In Recognition: this is the first Miss May I softy song, I personally don't like soft songs by metalbands, because they're not very good at it ;p but this one is okay... 10. Monument: this is the self-titled song, so you would expect it to be great, well it's not great at all... IT'S FREAKING INSANE! The ending breakdown, which is also the ending of this album (if you don't have the special edition) is so insanely good, every instrument plays a very special part in this breakdown, you can hear al kinds of sick vocals, insane dive bombs on the guitar, very heavy low bass lines and ground pounding drums, a perfect ending for an perfect album. 11. Rust (Special Edition): if I am right, this song has the first MMI guitar solo in it, for the rest this song isn't very special (they do sing about COD:MW2, which is pretty funny) there is a guest vocal in it, by Bleeding Through, but I don't like that at all! because of the overused swearing he uses, it's just a bit of a fail, because MMI almost never swears, but still have very strong lyrics! The sound quality is perfect on every single song as well!

These lyrics are totally amazing! Levi sings about almost anything you can imagine, but I personally think het uses too much metaphores. There mainly are 4 kinds of vocals on this album, all mixed together: You offcourse have the clean vocals (Ryan Neff, Bass), the very high pitched screams, the mid range screams/shouts and the very low and deep growls, wich is love the most. Almost every song has a catchy breakdown sentence, like: 01. Our Kings: Go back to your hell! 02. Masses Of A Dying Breed: Your only making a fool of yourself! 03. Answers: Where are the answers? 04. Relentless Chaos: All your words have fallen to the ground, where they belong! 05. Creations: See what I see! 06. Gears: The feeling of being machines, created for you! 07. Colossal: This force creates giants of nothing! 08. We Have Fallen: This entire world will become invisible! 09. In Recognition: LOL 10. Monument: Untouchable to all! Behold our monument! You will find yourself screaming these sentences along with Levi very fast if you're listening for while.

This album is much better than Apologies Are For The Weak and even that album was INSANE! Songs you should definately check out: Gears, We Have Fallen and Monument! It's not just my opinion, a lot of people out there say this album is the freaking best they have ever heard, so if you didn't already buy it, go and get it RIGHT NOW!

thePTOD
    I like this band. Not live, and not Ryan's autotuned singing, but the records I like. I'm not even really sure why I do, but I find them a bit more listenable than other metalcore bands. They're not metalcore gods or anything, but I do enjoy them.
    krvolok
    ninjagayden777
    Ugh, haters gonna hate...Miss May I deliver on so many levels, whether it be the guitar licks or the amazing vocal work. Just enjoy what they do or refrain from posting the pointless flaming.
    r0ckth3d34n
    I think Monuments is a lot better than their other CD. I'm blanking on the name... I want to say Apologies Are For the Weak, but I'm thinking that's the EP...
    Mahino
    Apologies Are For The Weak is their previous album, their EP was called Vows For A Massacre
    Sean1242 wrote: theres some solos in their debut not their only solo ever
    No, not like this one. It has a third guitar harmony in it!
    IcanHasBass
    The only thing unique and different about this album from their last, is the cover art! Hahahaha...
    Omgpaulslike
    A girl tried to get me into this band, couldn't get into it to be honest. Can't help but feel the cookie cutterness of the vast majority of these "core" bands.
    Riz_kan
    relentless chaos and masses of the dying bread is the best i guess...
    vppark2
    pnkhrdwndr wrote: their first cd has some really cool songs, but they aren't amazing. They have just enough metal in the metalcore to be just another metalcore band.
    agreed...masses of a dying breed is the only amazing song from em tht is rly memorable
    vppark2
    krvolok wrote: 04. Relentless Chaos: this song has such an nasty breakdown, it's like really heavy and then it kind of continues into an even heavier one, really good job. Rest of the song is great as well. A "heavy" breakdown and then another breakdown followed by...a breakdown and SCREEEEEAM and a breakdown and then the "rest" of the "song" goes on.
    hahahahahaha perfect.
    vppark2
    Megatallica18 wrote: for me, miss may i compares to all that remains.....i usually listen to megadeth and lamb of god, but i also love some metalcore on the side.... miss may i really has those those high fry-vocals which drive me insane! (in a good way!) one thing im kinda meh on is the clean vocals on here...they sound like fall out boy and panic at the disco when they do the clean vocals... appart from that, i love the double bass and the amazing guitar riffs....fresh band, definately look into this album if you like metal
    i think u need to get yur hearing checked about the fall out boy part u mentioned...
    Mahino
    lol 5 years later. super cringy to read all this shit. I sincerely apologize.