A Gun To The Head review by Mission of Burma

• Released: Sep 14, 2004
  • Users' score: 8 (1 vote)
Mission of Burma: A Gun To The Head

Mission Of Burma are an indie punk rock band. They released an EP in 1981 and an album in 1982, before they disbanded for twenty years. Then, they reunited and at the time of my writing this review, they have released 4 or 5 more albums since 2002. This CD is a greatest hits compilation that came out right after the band reunion. It consists of songs from their first album and their first EP, as well as a couple of live tracks, which as far as I can tell, are songs that were never recorded in the studio.

This is your standard 1970's/1980's punk rock music, with a slightly more artistic feel to it. Not all the lyrics deal with hatred of normality and the usual stuff you would hear on say, "Nevermind the Bollocks," but I still consider it punk rock. I haven't really heard much of the newer material Mission Of Burma have released, so, I don't know if this is the best compilation that could exist, but it's definitely very good and if you are a punk rock fan, you need to check this album out, it won't disappoint.

Well, all I can say, is that with as many songs as there are on this disc, I don't see the point in even making a compilation, instead of just packaging the album and the EP as one set. I mean there have been a few bands who've done that and it usually is really awesome. As is, I can recommend this as a very solid starting point, if you haven't heard anything at all by Mission Of Burma, or if you are having trouble finding their 1980's material. Favorite songs: "This Is Not a Photograph," "Fame and Fortune" and "Mica."