Everywhere And His Nasty Parlour Tricks review by Modest Mouse

• Released: Sep 25, 2001
Modest Mouse: Everywhere And His Nasty Parlour Tricks

Right from the beginning the sound is somewhat darker, gloomier then other modest cd's. The haunting guitar riff from "Night on the Sun" matches up well with "Willful Suspension of Disbelief" and "The Air". "3 Inch Horses, Two Faced Monster" seems to be something straight out of Lonesome Crowded West with it's rickety western sound and Isaac Brock's somber vocals. The standout track is completely different from what a usual Modest Mouse fan would expect. "You're The Good Things" is a very radio friendly type, acoustic song.

The lyrics are as usual, brilliant. While the sound may have been lacking the crazy Isaac Brock riffs, they did not forget his amazing gift of writing incredible lyrics. My favorite line comes from "Night on the Sun", as Brock exclaims "So, turn off the light 'cause it's night on the sun you're hopelessly hopeless I hope so, for you." The lyrics are as usual, full of double entendre and paradox's. Perhaps the best lyrics come from "I came as a Rat" Which Brock tells a tale of where he came from and what he's been called in his life. Although it may seem a stretch, Brock is telling the listener to not listen to what others will say to you, to form your own opinions.

This EP from Modest Mouse of course sounds like much of their other works. I would definitely recommend it as a gateway to future Modest Mouse purchases as you get a tiny taste of what some would consider the lower tier tracks on any Modest Mouse CD. The most impressive songs to me are in this order: You're The Good Things, Night On The Sun, I Came As A Rat. What's great about modest Mouse is that there are many different sounds that you will hear on any compilation from them. With one of the mbest front men in rock today leading the group, you get a chance to hear a brilliant troubled man pour his heart in his lyrics. It's not often you will find that with todays music. Just a different band, making great rock music. I would buy this EP if it was stolen without a doubt.

guitar-goddess
    heard one of their songs... wasn't a fan but i might try out listenning to the rest of the cd.